• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Re-Flashing the Sheeva for NTFS support  (Read 1755 times)
Newbie4u

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:52:44 AM »

OK, completely new to Linux but I have been playing with the Sheeva plug for a few months.

I am logging into the plug via hyperterminal in XP (please refrain from booing!).

I successfully set up Samba and mounted a 750 gig USB drive only to discover that I don't have access to the drive from my windows network (I mounted a FAT SD card and could access it, so I am pretty sure NTFS is a problem).  As far as I can tell, I need to get ntfs-3g or ntfs-progs onto the Sheeva plug, which I don't think anyone had done successfully on rc1 (I certainly wasn't able to, was told that the "Armel" processor was not compatible).

Regardless, I think I need to 're-flash" the sheeva device in order to get everything working. I downloaded the three files necessary for rc7 (says there is ntfs-3g support on it) and now I have no idea how to get these onto the device.  I can load them on the SD card and access the Sheeva plug, but something tells me that I need to "push" everything onto the plug from my laptop.  Is there a step by step tutorial somewhere that I can use?  I looked at the wiki post (http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Flashing_an_Operating_System_onto_the_Plug) and thought I was reading another language.  I'd rather not load Ubuntu onto this computer to make this work, so I plan on using VMware.  Whatever that means.

I am posting as a last resort, I have managed to get this far by leeching off everyone else's posts.

Thanks.

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:45:14 AM »

If you are referring to the kernel at http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=337.0.  Then you need to follow the directions in README-2.6.30-rc7.  You will need a serial connection to the plug to set the uboot variables after flashing the new kernel.  When you get 2.6.30-rc7 booting add "fuse" to /etc/modules to load the fuse module.  Follow the directions with ntfs-3g to mount the partition.  I've built ntfs-3g from source on the sheeva so I know there is no "source" incompatibility.  I don't know of any other "incompatibility" between ntfs-3g and arm.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: