• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: would be nice if it supports networking tools  (Read 5083 times)
ryanlin2002

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2009, 02:39:47 PM »

hi all

i came across this product on slashdot.org today. needless to say, i was pretty impressed by the technology.

It would be nice if this product supports syslog, MRTG or Cacti, mysql, etc.  I can definitely see the possibilities of running enterprise applications on this tiny little device!

thanks

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 08:28:25 PM »

It does support them, and I have to add: quite well.

I have apache+php, mysql, ntop, bittorrent, AFP and samba without problems.

ryanlin2002

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 09:27:23 PM »

nice!

thanks for the info!

is it easy to install ? do you know what distro it comes with?  do you have to 'hack' it to make it work?

thanks

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:49:15 PM »

The default is ubuntu, as for the difficulty, depending on how far you want to take it, but to have a basic install with apache, php, etc the difficulty is medium. You need to be familiar with a command line and you need to be willing to spend some time configuring it.

Speaking of distros, it can have so far: ubuntu, gentoo, debian and slackware.

is it easy to install ? do you know what distro it comes with?  do you have to 'hack' it to make it work?

I think you mean if you have to do something extra to make it useful (like hacking a NSLU2 or a PSP), no, you don't need to. It is a development system, so it is completely open and ready to do whatever you want it to do.

ryanlin2002

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »

perfect ! thanks! appreciate your feedback!

i will order one soon. Smiley

ryanlin2002

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »

last minute question before ordering

do you think i can fit syslog, mrtg, and apache all in 512mb flash space? it would suck if i have to attach another usb flash drive just to make it work

thanks!

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »

Even if you could, I wouldn't do it. Those programs generate lots of data, and it would quickly fill the partition. So I think you need a USB drive (or a SD card).

ryanlin2002

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 12:22:33 AM »

i see.

i will probably get a 16gb sd card to go with it then

thanks again!

7yNvtFuA2kOcarXMzOr9T2AbU

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:58:21 AM »

karurosu, I'd like to know how many of these devices you've networked together and the speed of this network. If it's fast then I will try to build a network out of these plug computers, since they're much more affordable. Coupled with Pogoplug I think memory will not be a problem.

PC

It does support them, and I have to add: quite well.

I have apache+php, mysql, ntop, bittorrent, AFP and samba without problems.

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:12:09 AM »

I only have 1 sheevaplug that currently is downloading torrents and serving a 500 gb HDD via AFP and SMB, also it has mysql, apache, mpd (music player) and mt-daap(to share via itunes). The sheevaplug is connected using a standard cat 5e ethernet cable to a 100 mbps router, I have 3 computers using the services. The speed is excellent, and if I had a gigabit ethernet router it would be even better.

If you want to build a network the sheevaplug is quite a good system to use.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »

karurosu,

You only have 1 or 3 of these plug computers? If you have 3 could you network it together to see how it performs and post it?

Thanks

PC

I only have 1 sheevaplug that currently is downloading torrents and serving a 500 gb HDD via AFP and SMB, also it has mysql, apache, mpd (music player) and mt-daap(to share via itunes). The sheevaplug is connected using a standard cat 5e ethernet cable to a 100 mbps router, I have 3 computers using the services. The speed is excellent, and if I had a gigabit ethernet router it would be even better.

If you want to build a network the sheevaplug is quite a good system to use.

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 10:04:13 PM »

I only have 1 sheevaplug, but I have connected to my home network. It works perfectly with other devices (laptops, desktops, routers, etc)

One of the best "tests" I've made to the plug is stream mp3 to my laptop using a VPN connected from my office (the plug is at home), it worked perfectly.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »

Thanks for your reply.

I'm looking for people that have several of these plug computers that have networked it together to see the results. If it is what I think I will go ahead and purchase several of these, to build my own super computer.

If you know such people please let me know. I'm eager to hear results.

I only have 1 sheevaplug, but I have connected to my home network. It works perfectly with other devices (laptops, desktops, routers, etc)

One of the best "tests" I've made to the plug is stream mp3 to my laptop using a VPN connected from my office (the plug is at home), it worked perfectly.

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 08:56:19 AM »

What kind of services do you want to use on several sheevaplugs?
I have a friend who also has one and we could give it a try.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 11:07:13 AM »

Just to see what this thing is capable of. Anything from playing games to CAD or application that requires distributive computing.

I don't think there will be too much of a difference with 2 plugs, maybe try more.

When the price come down, say to $50, 50 plugs will only be $2500. It'll be the cheapest supercomputer ever built. Each plug can act like a node.

Who knows, by the time price came down, this thing probably will be obsolete.

What kind of services do you want to use on several sheevaplugs?
I have a friend who also has one and we could give it a try.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: