• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any Ideas?  (Read 1989 times)
dan

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »

I got my Plug yesterday... opened it up, set it up, updated Ubuntu etc.... made an attempt at installing a GUI and tightVNC (using http://www.computingplugs.com/index.php/Installing_X11 ) and worked decently.  I changed root's password.  Restarted (btw, what's the best way to do so than shutdown -r now ?) 

Now I try to SSH in and it doesn't like my password (using both my new password and nosoup4u).  Nmap shows only SSH port open, filtered but nothing else.  I know for a fact I opened ports for tightVNC.

Any ideas?  Is it bricked?  What's the best way to recover?

Thank you so much.   

dan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:27:07 PM »

connecting via minicom, the following messages came on my screen:
* Starting system log daemon...       
Ubuntu jaunty (development branch) debian ttyS0

[ OK ] login:                           
[ OK ] * Starting kernel log daemon...       
[ OK ] * Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server sshd       
[ OK ] * Starting periodic command scheduler crond       
      fat: exports duplicate symbol fat_add_entries (owned by kernel)
insmod: error inserting '/boot/fat.ko': -1 Invalid module format

jmknapp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »

Just a long shot, but did you notice any weird keyboard mappings when logged in over vnc? I installed tightvnc and gnome and the keyboard mapping was all wrong (e.g., typing asdf resulted in abfh). The solution was at http://blog.yclian.com/2007/12/3-solutions-to-gnomevnc-keyboard.html

# gconftool --set /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd/layouts --type List --list-type String [aa]

So I wonder if your password isn't what you think it is. I guess that's a long shot though because I don't think you would have been able to type the 'passwd' command in the first place with the keyboard scrambled (or enter the current password correctly if the menus were used).

I don't think the fat.ko thing is a real problem (I commented that out of /etc/rc.local because it was failing anyway).

Joe

dan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:10:03 AM »

Hello jmknapp,

I changed root's passwd from SSH, and even closed the session a few times and relogged in with the new password.  It just seemed to have all disappeared after a reboot.  I don't know much about file systems so I was scared that the fat.ko thing may mean it is corrupt, but if commenting it out is fine, then no worries on that.  All I have to do is be able to log in? 

dan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 12:52:53 PM »

re-flashed the whole thing.  No other alternative.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 05:31:04 AM »

Hi,

How did you reflash the plug?
If you are willing to spend some time on testing I would appreciate testing the following -

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=323.0

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: