• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Floating point requirements for Virtualized OS  (Read 5017 times)
Baphomet

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:07:22 AM »

I have read that the these plug computers offer no support for floating point processes... Would anyone happen to know if this is a general requirement for running any linux compatible virtualization softwares capable of running windows of any flavor?

The only reason I ask -- I stumbled upon the Pogoplug and had recently purchased a MagicJack. I want to dump AT&T as they continually bill me more than what I was originally quoted for my "basic" phone service and recently exposed in another phone statement that another $10-15 excise tax would appear on my monthly bill -- So I have had it with them... After discovering the plug pc's, I considered the possiblity of running VirtualBox or another virtualization software on them since MagicJack only supports Windows software.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »

I dont think it will be able to run windows, since virtualization works because you are running on a x86 system, the plug is ARM so you'll need both the virtual environment AND a CPU translator, and I don't think the plug would be able to handle such load.
However, who knows? maybe run a very stripped down windows and qemu (which I dont know if it has CPU translation).

Baphomet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:14:35 PM »

Yeah -- I was considering the possibility of running a copy of Embedded XP, but am unsure of what XP components are required by the MagicJack...

According to QEMU's internals, it can emulate x86, ARM, PowerPC and SPARC, so it sounds like it might be able to do the job... I have tooled with QEMU in the past and installed a full copy of XP pro -- I think. It was a long night... and some time ago on an older revision of QEMU, but I think I succeeded.

Has anyone else ever run QEMU on these plugs?

David Avital
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:20:51 AM »

For Visualization I'll recommend openVZ http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page. it should work great with the Plug.

-David

Baphomet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »

OpenVZ isn't compatible with Windows OSes... MagicJack does support Intel based installations of OSX according to their website, but I'm not sure whether or not OSX can be virtualized.

Since OSX is basically a Linux OS, maybe running a compatible Linux distro as a host OS on the plug CAN work, but with all my knowledge, I'm still just a Linux noob. Based on the website, it says that the MagicJack will NOT work with Linux, but OSX is just a customized proprietary Linux distro, so who's to say that it CANT? Or am I wrong about this altogether -- Can a MAC driver be recompiled to run on a compatible linux distro?

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:31:17 AM »

OSX cannot be virtualized with the openvz, as I see it, its only for linux, so it seems your best option is to use XP.
Checking the MagicJack website, it looks like it needs hardware, so it makes running it a lot harder...
I think qemu is your only choice, and according to gentoo portage is x86/ppc only...

You could try compiling it, but I am not sure it'll work.

Baphomet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:11:11 AM »

Not sure that I understand your last statement -- Are you saying that QEMU can only be deployed on a x86/PPC platform?

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 03:05:44 PM »

Thats what I suspect, but give it a try.

Baphomet

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:20:56 PM »

Ordered my plug just a few days ago, so when I receive it and take on the task, I'll post back with my results...

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 08:17:25 AM »

I'll try to compile it on my plug and see what happens.

Baphomet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 10:42:44 AM »

I'll try to compile it on my plug and see what happens.

Any success with compiling this as yet, Karurosu?

semery

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 08:06:34 PM »

You can install the qemu binary from the apt repository. I don't have the time to create a windows vm right now but I tried TinyCoreLinux http://www.tinycorelinux.com but I got a kernel panic. I'll try fiddling with it a bit more tomorrow. It's likely I just didn't pass the correct command line parameters.

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 09:40:56 PM »

Hi, sorry for taking so long... RL tends to mess up with plans ><

Anyway, you should try semery's suggestion first, if that fails I'll give the compilation a try.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: