• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who runs plugcomputer.org?  (Read 4318 times)
jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »

Would the person/people running this domain, plugcomputer.org, please identify themselves and provide some sort of background/introduction about yourself?   I do not recall reading anything by way of introduction.

Do you work for and/or are you affiliated with Marvell or any of its "partners", e.g. GlobalScale Technologies, Inc.

whois shows:

Domain ID:D155585897-LROR
Domain Name:PLUGCOMPUTER.ORG
Created On:11-Mar-2009 11:39:30 UTC
Last Updated On:11-May-2009 03:58:56 UTC
Expiration Date:11-Mar-2010 11:39:30 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, Inc. (R91-LROR)
Registrant ID:GODA-060795080
Registrant Name:David Avital
Registrant Street1:Aetzel 42/10 Ashkelon
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Ashkelon
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code:972
Registrant Country:IL
Registrant Phone:+54.6619909
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:avitaldavid@gmail.com

I'd like to learn more about who is running the show.
I'd also like to know what engineers from any of these companies are participating?

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:13:47 PM »

Marvell engineers are running the site  Grin
Both me and Dudu are the admins.
Lots of other engineers from Marvell also participate, like rshitrit, niceguy, saeed etc...

But the top posters are not Marvell employees; they are individuals that got in love with the plug; all the credit goes to them.

Need more info? We can publish more info if needed; please suggest what and where to publish.

Best Regards,
Rabeeh

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:05:53 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why did you recently move the forum from openplug.org to plugcomputer.org?  I noticed a few days ago that Firefox stopped remembering my password and I had to re-enter it again.  I had to change some hard links in my bookmarks to get things working again.  (For example, I find keeping a pointer to http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?action=unread on my bookmarks toolbar handy for finding and reading the new posts here.)

Also, what is the intended use of the openplug.org vs. plugcomputer.org domains going forward?  There seems to be a lot of overlap there, although right now they are both distinctly different websites.  Just curious.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:28:08 AM »

Those are exactly same web sites.
We had some internal Marvell discussions on the naming, and decided to continue on with plugcomputer web site rather than keeping both.

For now www.openplug.org is there, but i don't think it will hang on forever.

KaiBo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:31:13 AM »

I for myself find openplug.org far more fancy than plugcomputer.org.  Grin

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »

What about http://www.computingplugs.com/ ? Is it part of marvell?

pushbx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »

nope, computingplugs is all me.

I started it so that I could keep a log of what I did on the plug in case I need to reproduce it again.  I made it public so that others don't have to figure out the same things I did.

It is also a good way of stressing the sheeva plug.  Hmm... I wonder if openplug is running on the sheeva like I am?  heh.

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »

oh, nice to know its running on a sheeva Cheesy

What is your memory/cpu usage?

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 06:46:46 AM »

nice work pushbx Smiley

Do you have stats on how it's doing?

I suggest you add a note on your web site that it's running on the plug. I couldn't notice unless you said so.

pushbx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »

here's my memory usage:

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        514808     404240     110568          0      77816     123488
Swap:       907664      19456     888208

the biggest memory users are mythbackend, mysql, apache2 in that order.  The cpu usage is usually very low and the system feels responsive.

Actually, I didn't put the fact that the sheeva is hosting my website because I want to see if people would notice.  I ran websites before on commercial hosting sites and I wanted to know if the sheeva is up for hosting small/mid size websites.  So far, the sheeva "feels" faster than some of the sites I've used.  Image the tech's face if you show up with a couple of sheevas to be co-loc at their place.   Cheesy

Rabeeh, what stats are you looking for?  I could run the benchmark if I don't already have it.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 04:12:04 PM »

I'm not looking for specific stats; but your line "the sheeva feels faster than some of the sites I've used" puts a big  Grin on my face.

pushbx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »

Interesting side note on this, my site got onto a Russian linux site over the weekend (http://www.linux.org.ru/) and got hit pretty hard.  The stats show:

Day                   Number of visits   Pages   Hits           Bandwidth
24 May 2009   2972                   7721   65232   486.84 MB

Now I know I'm not running the most intense content and 3000 visits a day is not "a lot".  But try to frame this inside the fact that I'm running this from a server that draws 10w max.  The services involve is still apache + mediawiki + mysql. Don't forget that I'm also running mythbackend, samba, nfs, vncserver for my local network.  The plug worked flawlessly and served all the pages without a single error as far as I could tell.  I believe if I were to customize the plug to do strictly webserver it could comfortably serve 5000+ visits.

The unit works, and if used correctly, works very well.  I'll be updating my performance page with these stats shortly.

bgslc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 01:56:58 PM »

running ab -c 100 -n 100 to test a wordpress installation on the plug killed it completely so it needed modification to the apache2.conf
 to lower the number of max clients and max requests per client:

other than that, it runs fine

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 11:54:56 PM »

it will sure kill it. wordpress requires php, so you run mod_php, mod_php requires running apache mpm-prefork. Each apache process is at least 50MB. forking 100 of them on a 512MB machine....

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 12:20:31 AM »

Can one of the site admins fix the front page links to the Wiki Recent Changes, which doesn't work properly.   Thanks.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: