• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Debian running on the plug  (Read 24034 times)
dg

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 03:37:07 PM »

You don't need Debian to run debootstrap --- it's a standalone script that'll run on anything. You can trivially use debootstrap on a PC to set up a USB stick, then plug it into the SheevaPlug and boot from it.

However it's debatable whether it's a *real* Debian without also running a Debian kernel and initrd --- you can't, for example, upgrade your kernel using apt without this. Unfortunately they process of building a Debian kernel seems to be rather involved...

But provided you bear that in mind, the userland works rather well on top of the Marvell kernel. That's what I'm using...

KaiBo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 07:06:35 PM »

Yeah, that's what I did again. Just wondered if there might be a nicer solution to this.

The Kernel needs to come from the orion-repositories, sure thing - and no biggie to me. I need to make my own uImage anyways so it doesn't really affect me.

Gothnet

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 08:26:30 AM »

Yeah, that's what I did again. Just wondered if there might be a nicer solution to this.

The Kernel needs to come from the orion-repositories, sure thing - and no biggie to me. I need to make my own uImage anyways so it doesn't really affect me.

Debian Sid contains kernel 2.6.29-kirkwood, which should be sheevaplug compatible. You might be able to get it built for squeeze or lenny through debian-backports, but I'm not sure.

The problem is then figuring out how to use uboot-mkimage to create and then write the kernel to flash. I got mine to install the kernel files to the correct place in the root filesystem, but got no further because I wasn't sure which of the files in /boot I should be playing with.

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »

I'm sorry it took me so long but I finally made a tar ball available that contains Debian 5.0 (lenny) and the 2.6.29 kernel from Debian unstable.  I've created some instructions at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/unpack.html

Let me know if you have any problems with the tar ball or instructions.

Gothnet

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 03:58:14 AM »

I'm sorry it took me so long but I finally...

As you damn well should be....

Just kidding, am grateful for your work on debian/NSLU2 and thanks a lot for this. I'll try and give it a go later.

31000aku

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 02:14:25 PM »

I'm sorry it took me so long but I finally made a tar ball available that contains Debian 5.0 (lenny) and the 2.6.29 kernel from Debian unstable.  I've created some instructions at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/unpack.html

Let me know if you have any problems with the tar ball or instructions.

It works! Followed your instructions using a 2GB USB stick.
Thank u very much.

German SheevaPlug community - www.sheevaplug.de

mikekgr

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 10:13:27 PM »

Dear tbm,
it works (very nicely!!!) for me too!
Many thanks for your fine work

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

P.S. Is it possible to give me the u-boot commands in order to revert (If I want it) the booting to the internal nand flash?. Thanks in advance.

bjohv052

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 02:30:42 AM »

tbm,
from your instructions I assume that the tarball is installed on an ext2 file system. Is that correct, and if so, why not use ext3?

If I setup my usb stick with an ext3 fs, will the tarball still work? I'm guessing the tarball will be ok but I need new bootargs?

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »

from your instructions I assume that the tarball is installed on an ext2 file system. Is that correct, and if so, why not use ext3?

If I setup my usb stick with an ext3 fs, will the tarball still work? I'm guessing the tarball will be ok but I need new bootargs?

You can use ext3 and you don't have to change the bootargs.  It will worked as described.

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 11:19:22 AM »

P.S. Is it possible to give me the u-boot commands in order to revert (If I want it) the booting to the internal nand flash?. Thanks in advance.

My plug didn't ship with the Ubuntu system that came with most plugs, so I'm not sure what you have to type.  I believe the following should work.  Can you try?

Code:
setenv bootcmd 'nand read 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000'
setenv mainlineLinux no
saveenv
reset

mikekgr

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »

Dear tbm,
I did what you suggested but again there is something wrong (although the start of booting progress now seems normal) see:
===== QUOTE =====
         __  __                      _ _
        |  \/  | __ _ _ ____   _____| | |
        | |\/| |/ _` | '__\ \ / / _ \ | |
        | |  | | (_| | |   \ V /  __/ | |
        |_|  |_|\__,_|_|    \_/ \___|_|_|
 _   _     ____              _
| | | |   | __ )  ___   ___ | |_
| | | |___|  _ \ / _ \ / _ \| __|
| |_| |___| |_) | (_) | (_) | |_
 \___/    |____/ \___/ \___/ \__|
 ** MARVELL BOARD: SHEEVA PLUG LE

U-Boot 1.1.4 (Mar 19 2009 - 16:06:59) Marvell version: 3.4.16

U-Boot code: 00600000 -> 0067FFF0  BSS: -> 006CEE80

Soc: 88F6281 A0 (DDR2)
CPU running @ 1200Mhz L2 running @ 400Mhz
SysClock = 400Mhz , TClock = 200Mhz

DRAM CAS Latency = 5 tRP = 5 tRAS = 18 tRCD=6
DRAM CS[0] base 0x00000000   size 256MB
DRAM CS[1] base 0x10000000   size 256MB
DRAM Total size 512MB  16bit width
Flash:  0 kB
Addresses 8M - 0M are saved for the U-Boot usage.
Mem malloc Initialization (8M - 7M): Done
NAND:512 MB

CPU : Marvell Feroceon (Rev 1)

Streaming disabled
Write allocate disabled

USB 0: host mode
PEX 0: interface detected no Link.
Net:   egiga0 [PRIME], egiga1
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x100000, size 0x400000

Reading data from 0x4ff800 -- 100% complete.
 4194304 bytes read: OK
## Booting image at 00800000 ...
Bad Magic Number
===== UNQUOTE =====

Any idea?
Many thanks

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 12:40:22 AM »

I'm afraid I don't know what's wrong. Hopefully someone who still has the original system can tell us the output of 'printenv'.

swartb

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 04:02:15 AM »

i've notcied there's already a page on the wiki with the default settings:

http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Factory_Default_u-Boot_Environment

Gothnet

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »

Hi again,

I've been playing with this and the patched u-boot that another contributor built for SD card booting.

Using your tar file and uboot environment as a guide I've managed to get the kernel/initramfs to boot, but I can't get any farther than that.

The problem seems to be to do with devices/drivers. The /dev directory available from the initramfs busybox prompt doesnt contain any entry for either sd* devices or (possibly more likely with SDIO) mmcblk*p* devices.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong there? Does the debian kernel support the sheevaplug's SDIO device? Can supply more details if they would help.

Thanks.

atari

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 03:01:34 AM »

Any thoughts on what might be wrong there? Does the debian kernel support the sheevaplug's SDIO device? Can supply more details if they would help.

It does support the sheevaplug's SDIO device, but you have to "modprobe mvsdio" manually...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to: