• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Neat Receipts + SheevaPlug -- Wouldn't that be sweet?  (Read 2093 times)
jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »

I was at Costco last night browsing and came upon Neat Receipts (Coscto version $150).  See http://www.neatco.com

I've submitted the following question to the "Ask a Qustion" form submission:

I'd like to know if I can mount the neatworks scanner to a linux box and then run your software on a windows box over the network.

Basically, I like the small footprint of your scanner and would like to plug it into a teensy weensy linux computer called a SheevaPlug that is a full blown Linux server (see http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp and http://www.openplug.org/plugforum/ which is tracking success stories of  implementation using this newly released product).  I'd like to have your scanner and the SheevaPlug near the kitchen or in some place where they would take a very small footprint, in otherwords, I do not want to have a laptop computer next to the scanner to support it.

Since your Adobe Flash presentation didn't mention this type of set up, I'm guessing your current design does not support it.  If you reply that you currently do not support such a configuration, PLEASE PLEASE forward this onto your product development manager -- this could be a new area of convenience: having a remote scanner next to where you open bills and then you deal with the receipts later when you are seated at your computer elsewhere.

Having a scanner running full time with a SheevaPlug attached to it so you could just shove in a receipt or document instantly 24 hours and then deal with the processing of the images at a later time on a Windows box running the Neat OCR would really be a convenient thing to have.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:29:03 AM »

for the record, here are the subsequent entries to the inquiry.  Looks like an avenue of exploration is using a scanner with the SheevaPlug running a wifi connection (and Samba) making the scanner entry point, i.e. the place table/shelf space your provide for a scanner and the SheevaPlug, truly portable and convenient requiring only 2 110v plugs -- one for the scanner and one for the SheevaPlug.  I see a shelf spot where receipts currently congregate that could be replace with such a small footprint operation.

Response (Andrea)    05/15/2009 02:19 PM
I will be sure to forward this suggestion to our development team as well.

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Response (Andrea)    05/15/2009 02:18 PM
Hi John,

After you install the software, there will be both a table of contents and an index feature in the NeatWorks Help Guide.

In version 4.0, you can import images right into the Inbox.

You can import PDF, .BMP, .GIF, .JPEG, .PNG and .TIF file formats into NeatWorks.

All of your scans and images will be imported at 300dpi into the software.

We don't have a trial version of NeatReceipts, but we do offer a 30 day return policy if you find the product doesn't suit your needs.

Customer (John Poole)    05/15/2009 02:15 PM
I also wanted to advise that I've heard that the SheevaPlug will probably be available on a wholesale basis for about $50/unit. Your company could offer the very kind of remote service I'm exploring with the Sheevaplug tied to your scanner and using a wireless USB. For what it is worth.

Customer (John Poole)    05/15/2009 01:56 PM
1) Your help doesn't have a table of contents or index, either or both would be very desirable.

Here's what I found in the PDF (http://www.neatco.com/media/12224/neatworks4_guide2.pdf) :
p. 107

If you already have an image stored on your computer and would like to add it to a
cuments row, you can do the following:
In the Documents Grid, select the row you want to add the image to.
2. From the Toolbar, choose Import > Image to Current Document.
3. Navigate to the folder on your computer containing the image and select it.
4. Click Open.

Question 1: what formats and scan resolution may be imported?
Question 2: Do you offer a trial software for free download that I could try to assess whether my scans would work?

Response (Andrea)    05/15/2009 01:32 PM
Hi John,

You can import PDF and digital image files into the NeatWorks software, however our database is stored in a proprietary format in Microsoft SQL Server. This database must be stored on your local disk drive, where Windows is installed.

Customer (John Poole)    05/15/2009 01:23 PM
1) Will your software support the following:

I point your software to a directory of files that are some variety of TIFF (compressed) or some other acceptable image type? These files will have been scanned by a different scanner. Maybe this would be an "import" feature?

Response (Andrea)    05/15/2009 01:10 PM
Hi John,

We don't support any sort of remote accessibility at this time. NeatWorks must be installed on the Local System on a Windows XP or Windows Vista computer. It cannot be installed on a network drive, however I will be happy to forward your suggestions onto our developers as a feature request for future enhancements of the software.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or suggestions.

Thank you,
Andrea

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: