• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Directly connecting the plug with a network cable to a notebook  (Read 2341 times)
CqCn

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2009, 03:48:51 AM »

I am interested in just taking my plug and laptop on a trip.  I have a Lenovo netbook.  Can I connect the eithernet with a regular cable (the supplied one of ShPlug) to the notebook and and get connectivity between them?  Or do I need a special cross wired ethernet cable?  Currently I can boot off of the SDCard or USB (both alpah-6 kernel and file system in the external SDCard).

All I am interested is in the how to of directly connecting, avoiding any network.  I am about to go on a long cruise; I do not have much time to experiment; at least I need to have the right cable taken along.  (Currently I boot to a fixed ip in the local 192.168. subnet, to my regular router at home) and ssh from my laptop.  I do have working VMWare and Ubuntu on my netbook.

Any specific guideline will be appreciated.  Any reference/tutorial to this type of direct setup I want here?  I will have only at best spotty (but very very expensive) slow internet access on the boat and I am leaving in a day Smiley

Cordially, CqCn

wstupar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:10:46 AM »

Wikipedia describes a crossover cable--see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Wes

CqCn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 08:16:03 AM »

When directly connecting, how/where should the startup network settings be modified, so that instead of looking for a dhcp server thr Plug will find the notebook?

Cordially, CqCn

fnordianslip

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 11:36:51 AM »

I think that installing the avahi-autoipd package should help you out here, assuming that your laptop supports zeroconf.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:18:48 AM »

If the notebook has a gigbit RJ45 port, there is no need for a crossover. Gigabit interfaces have auto-mdix

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:22:40 AM »

no need for crossover since marvell phy being used in the plug autodetects speed, duplux etc...

CqCn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 10:26:04 AM »

no need for crossover since marvell phy being used in the plug autodetects speed, duplux etc...

Rabeeh, thanks, I did not know that.  My netbook does no have gigabit, I think...   But since ShPlg has it, and only one side needs to auto confgiure, will it not work with even non gigbit ones without cross over then?... I am on the road Smiley

Cordially, CqCn

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: