• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: using i/o ports  (Read 1741 times)
amhi

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:57:09 AM »

Hi,
First,sorry for my poor english Smiley

I'm doing a project that need a mini-pc to connect with micro-controller.
I search for a suitable solution,when i came across this site.
Is it possible to connect the SheevaPlug or any other plug computer to a micro-controller like the BrainStem GP 2.0 (http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S25-GP2-BRD.html)?
The BrainStem is connect to the computer using serial port (RS-232).

One more question:
Is it possible to connect a screen and mouse/keyboard to the plug computer so i can work as a normal PC?

Thanks for your time.  Wink

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:48:11 AM »

It is possible to attach a screen to the plug via a USB attached VGA adapter or touch panel. (search for Displaylink on this site)

It is possible to attach one or more USB-to-serial adapters (for RS-232 communications) and/or a USB keyboard/mouse as well to the plug.

You will need a POWERED USB 2.0 hub to attach all of these things at once.

Mark

amhi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:34:40 AM »

Hi,Thx for ur answer.
I dont want to connect all at once,the serial device should work on its own,without any other devices.
Will the plug computer be able to supply the serial-connnect device without powered hub?

Again,thanks for your time.

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:06:52 AM »

Mine do. Smiley

Some people believe that causing the Plug to continuously drive a large USB port current (rotating media, displaylink, etc.) helps to cause premature power supply failures.  All the USB-Serial devices I've used haven't require much current so you should probably be safe.

Does the BrainStem GP 2.0 get power from the serial port (parasitic) or somewhere else?

Mark

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: