• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Spam and new Users  (Read 4445 times)
guidol

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:34:06 AM »

The last weeks I did see very much Spam-Messages from new Users....
They did create many new Threads on their first day or did reply to many threads
on their first day in the forum.

Is there a security hole or should the process reconsidered for registering to the forum?

I like this forum very much and dont want to search for news between the spam-messages. Huh

ehode

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:10 AM »

I noticed the same thing.  Oddly enough it took me 3 tries to actually get myself a registered account.

two9er

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »

+1 here guidol

I often report to Moderators, posts that obviously don't belong. I understand time zone differences, work schedules, and life come into play in being able to administer the forum. I also understand that nothing is quicker than a human in determining the legitimacy of a post. I would propose that more moderators be allowed, with the ability to not only delete inappropriate posts, but users also.

Have a look at the new users that registered today. A pattern in their usernames no? 7 alpha 2 numeric characters mostly. Be prepared for a new onslaught of spam.

Many hands make small work!
Sign me up. I'm ready to to help!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:20:46 AM by two9er » Logged

Just plugging away! GuruPlug Server Plus, 1TB esata hd, 8GB microSD (rfs)

bittner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »

The last weeks I did see very much Spam-Messages from new Users....

The same is true for the PlugWiki, by the way. I have added a new Wiki template for article deletion, and have started to mark obvious SPAM content for deletion.
Everyone of you can help out, by the way, and do the same by adding the following code to the top of any Wiki page in question:

Code:
{{delete|SPAM}}

My latest strategy to find out about recent spamming attempts is consult the Recent Changes page. Spammers have obviously odd user names.

Whoever is in charge of the Wiki, you should do something about the SPAM problem. This is a very common issue, and there are common counter measures for MediaWiki. The most obvious place to look for relief is MediaWiki manual pages: Combating spam.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:02:31 AM by bittner » Logged

sfzhi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:07:28 AM »

Well, do you mean that the new users have no right to reply or post a new topic at the first day? 
No, they don't, if they have unrelated links in their signature, like you do, to boost the Google rating of their web sites.

Lack of knowledge is not such a big problem, unwillingness to learn is.

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 07:12:56 AM »

No, they don't, if they have unrelated links in their signature, like you do, to boost the Google rating of their web sites.

Why not disallow unrelated Links in the Signature or disallow them there at all?
Good links could be placed in the Msg-Text - or collected at a special Place in a Wiki or a pinned
special Message.

bittner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:00:39 AM »

Who is in charge of the PlugWiki and the PlugForum?

Can you guys please analyse whether spammers on the Wiki have their e-mail address added and verified? If this is not the case why not disallow posting until your e-mail address is verified? Other strategies are described here:

Please act now! Spam content will soon be more than real content in the Wiki otherwise. Also, vandalism (mainly of the main page) hurts, e.g. link to poker sites are added.

There are a few users who try to correct this. But that's not the way to go. Please act now!

sfzhi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:47:47 AM »

I have noticed that since recently if I use "Report to moderator" link to report spam then I will often get "You are not allowed to post since your last post was less than 600 seconds ago" or something like that. I'm not trying to post anything at all, I'm just trying to report spam.

Dear moderators, if you are not interested in our reporting spam, can you at least clearly say that, so that we will not bother?

Lack of knowledge is not such a big problem, unwillingness to learn is.

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 07:41:45 AM »

hi  sfzhi,

We changed the forum settings to fight spam, so basically you can commit a port not too frequently, I hope it does lower the spam incidents

tinker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 03:46:08 PM »

I tried logging into the wiki just now to clean up some pages that have been spammed and get "Login error You have made too many recent attempts on this account's password. Please wait before trying again."

It seems the spam bots have taken over.
If the Wiki admin still has control of it the spam bots need to be black listed on the wiki.

bittner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 12:52:56 AM »

It seems the spam bots have taken over.
Not quite yet, but they're getting there!

Look at that, that's just one spammer (not even a spambot obviously, because he/she took revenge after their account was deleted)
http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=500&target=Ihacobi

BTW, the new forum settings are really disturbing: it's not possible anymore to do a "preview". The forum will object that you "posted less than 600" something ago! Really cool, now you're jailing us legitimate users out of the forum. Thanks! These are counter measures against us, not the spammers. Why not disallow posting at all?

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »

The new configuration is really annoying -- I don't have time to wait 10 minutes for each post and I guess others won't have time for that, either. Thus, the forum will suffer from the limit of 1 post every 10 minutes.

There must be better alternatives to battle spam. I don't know the forum software but would it be possible to have an admin selectively enable users to post more frequently (say, every 60 seconds) if those users have proved they are not spammers?

Thanks,
--Christian

gymcandy655d
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 04:56:59 AM »

Security is requeired when some one post too many response with out any intention. It should be stop as early as possible i agree with you boss.

tinker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »

It would make more sense to use a captcha and not a time out.
The plug wiki definitely needs a captcha.
Can one of the plug wiki admin clean up all the spam pages?  I have spent a lot of time on the plug wiki marking the drugstore spam as spam delete but there is so much of it that the admins really need to run a script to take care of it.

pacolm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 08:39:41 AM »

Shouldn't be easier to 'upgrade' some users to moderators only to avoid this be cleaning the post of spammers?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: