• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DNS Addressable Sheevaplug  (Read 2181 times)
Goto

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2009, 02:08:57 AM »

Does anyone here have any ideas about how to modify the plug with software to make it DNS addressable? In other words, if (a) I have  a plug and (b) I want to file share and (c) I do not want to go through a "walled garden", for example, PogoPlug to file share, but rather assign, say, a domain name address to my own plug - how can this be done? If anyone here in the forum has the DNS tech skills to do that, I have what I believe is a wonderful idea for a commercial app.
Thank you.

dattaway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 06:22:31 AM »

Free, great service, and supports Linux with great documentation:

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Gothnet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:27:53 AM »

Does anyone here have any ideas about how to modify the plug with software to make it DNS addressable? In other words, if (a) I have  a plug and (b) I want to file share and (c) I do not want to go through a "walled garden", for example, PogoPlug to file share, but rather assign, say, a domain name address to my own plug - how can this be done? If anyone here in the forum has the DNS tech skills to do that, I have what I believe is a wonderful idea for a commercial app.
Thank you.

What do you mean by assign a domain name? What's the usage scenario?

Do you want to be able to address it and access it from anywhere in the world? Or just inside you own house from other machines on a local network? What are you trying to acheive?

If you want access from anywhere in the world then you'll need to register a name through a domain registrar. There are many, many of these in whichever country you're in.

If you can get a static IP address through your ISP then you point the domain at that address, if not then the aforementioned dyndns is a decent substitute. Assuming your plug is on a home network with a NAT'd address scheme then set up the plug to have a static IP, usually by editing /etc/network/interfaces (I'm sure you can google for examples). Then you simply get your router to forward appropriate ports from the outside world to your plug. I have this setup at home so I can listen to my music from wherever I am, ssh in and get email off my home server etc etc.

If what you want is a machine addressable by name within your home network then you have a different set of challenges and would likely need to set up a DNS server on one of your boxes and tie that into DHCP on the network. Or you could just add a record to the hosts file on whichever machines you want to be able to use the name on.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: