• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Globalscale versus Ionics  (Read 1945 times)
bob38

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »

Hello,

I have to test several SheevaPlug constructor. Currently, I have a Ionics, and now some Globascale SheevaPlugs. The Globascale have a mini USB and SD card extension.

I have just one question:

why Ionics SheevaPlug boot in 21 seconds (I connect it to power, and receive DHCP request), and the Globalscale boot in 1min30 seconds ?

Regards

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:38:48 AM »

why Ionics SheevaPlug boot in 21 seconds (I connect it to power, and receive DHCP request), and the Globalscale boot in 1min30 seconds ?
Here a info regarding the boot-time from http://newit.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=5
which sells sheevaplugs from globalscale:
The original SheevaPlug Development Kit
Either chose the original, out-of-the-factory configuration, which boots Ubuntu 9.04 from the internal NAND, this is a jsff2 - formatted file system and takes around 2 minutes to boot.  Or the UBIFS version, configured to boot a slightly trimmed-down version of Ubuntu 9.04 from the internal NAND, the system is somewhat more up-to-date, and takes around 25 seconds to boot.

bob38

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:37:08 PM »

Thanks very much for this reply  Cheesy. Next time, I'll buy the good filesystem.

However, can I use the compiler provide by PlugComputer to generate Linux filesystem in UBIFS ?
Is it existing configuration file ?

thanks

regards

Bob

bob38

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »

Hello,

I found a marvelous site which explains how to update automatically a SheevaPlug Globalscales to UBIFS.

http://plug.maisondouf.fr/doku.php?id=sheevaplug:distrib:ubuntu

It's in french. But the uboot command are universal  Cheesy

you have to update Uboot, save content of directory included in file sheevaplug-installer-v1.0.tar.gz in USB key, set some Uboot command, plug USB key, and reset PlugComputer.

There are just some little error on Uboot command. You have to change double quotation marks to no quotation marks for tow lines.

setenv recover1 'setenv mainlineLinux yes; setenv arcNumber 2097; setenv bootcmd "run recover2"; saveenv; reset'
   setenv recover2 'run recover3; setenv bootcmd "run nand_boot"; saveenv; run recover5'

become

setenv recover1 'setenv mainlineLinux yes; setenv arcNumber 2097; setenv bootcmd run recover2; saveenv; reset'
   setenv recover2 'run recover3; setenv bootcmd run nand_boot; saveenv; run recover5'

PS: in the file sheevaplug-installer-v1.0.tar.gz, you can change the rootfs.tar.gz and uImage files by the last available for SheevaPlug, and you'll have a new SheevaPlug in UBIFS with the lastest kernel  Cheesy  I've test it with the last 2.6.35.7

Regards

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: