• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: common lisp  (Read 1066 times)
soapdog

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »

Hello Folks,

just to mark that ECL and SLIME are loading fine in the sheevaplug with Ubuntu Jaunty. ECL is the only common lisp implementation I could find that could run on ARM CPU.

Dr. Scheme runs too but it would eat 200+ MB on the flash drive and I want that space.

Anyone here experimenting with lisp or scheme?

Cheers
andre

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »

I hate to say it but lisp looks to be one of the ugliest languages I've ever seen.  It ranks right up there with Perl.  My personal preference is Python.

soapdog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:38:47 PM »

well, that is really a matter of taste. I find it very pleasant and elegant. I too think perl is akin to line noise but I am sure there will be fans that will say it is the best thing since sliced bread. Python is really nice and so is ruby (which I like better than python).

When I started learning scheme, I thought it was really crazy until one very boring day with nothing to do and no net connection, I started studying it properly for the first time, then I was hooked. I think it all boils down to how you approach it. If you approach it like just another computer language then you'll be very sorry. Now, if you approach it with some nice functional programming text such as SICP or the Dr. Scheme stuff then it can be very pleasant. I am now moving from scheme to lisp and I think its a good use for the sheevaplug right now...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: