• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SheevaPlug or GuruPlug as torrent box?  (Read 3779 times)
sha1dy

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2010, 02:10:53 AM »

I'm very interested in building a torrent box with a very small (and cheap) linux powered box and I come to these plug computers.

I got couple of question for which I can't find any answers:
1) Does SheevaPlug suffer from the same overheat problem as GuruPlug?
2) Does SheevaPlug have SD card reader? I'm asking this because NewIT offeres such plug with SD card and obviously SheevaPlug has a SD slot - is it a mock for regular units and only NewIT puts there real SD reader?
3) Does GuruPlug Plus only sufferer from overheat problem and GuruPlug Standard doesn't?
4) What is the difference between SheevaPlug and GuruPlug in terms of CPU - I can see they have different Marvel chips, but what is the real speed difference?

Thanks in advance who will spend some time answering many questions of mine Smiley

j0n3s

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:47:34 AM »

I'm using Sheeva as home server for almost 1 yr.

• the device have a medium temperature during usage. is not melting enclosure but it's not cold either.
    "old" version of Sheeva have a defective power supply (mine fail after about 11 months) - newer PSU seems to be better.
  • Yes.
  • -
  • in terms of CPU (as I found on Globalscale site) seems to be identical. only memory have higher clock rate on GuruPlug.

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:09:58 AM »

We sell both units, and also the eSATA version of the SheevaPlug...

1) Does SheevaPlug suffer from the same overheat problem as GuruPlug? No
2) Does SheevaPlug have SD card reader? I'm asking this because NewIT offeres such plug with SD card and obviously SheevaPlug has a SD slot - is it a mock for regular units and only NewIT puts there real SD reader?Yes it has an SD card slot as standard
3) Does GuruPlug Plus only sufferer from overheat problem and GuruPlug Standard doesn't?The Plus now has an internal fan to assist in the heat dissipation, the Standard only has one GBit Ethernet, which is where the majority of the heat build up comes from
4) What is the difference between SheevaPlug and GuruPlug in terms of CPU - I can see they have different Marvel chips, but what is the real speed difference?None, as said previously just the memory has a higher clock rate 800 vs 400

Our recomendation would be the eSATA Sheeva for expandability and price.

Dammuozz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:21:49 AM »

I'm running sheevaplug with 200+ torrents on ubuntu since one year 24/7 with usb disk and no problems except the blown PSU...

in my opinion the best choice for 24/7 use would be a sheevaplug with eSata and an external PSU (reduced heat and increased reliability)

dammuozz

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: