• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GuruPlug Fan  (Read 1934 times)
Magus

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »

I thought what the heck, I opened up my Guru Server Plus and invalidated the warranty. I have been looking at ways to make the fan run quieter. Therefore I have been putting resistors between the power source and the fan to make it run slower.

Currently I am using a 10 ohm value (I think) and it's running slower and other people including myself have noticed the difference in noise level.

Has anyone apart from me been brave enough to try this? I have been running my unit for about a day and it's warmer but not nearly as hot without the fan..

zachofalltrades

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:41:51 AM »

Since you've gone that far, why not add a proper heat sink to the CPU and not bother trying to get the cover back on -- might be better than fan, and you could ditch the fan completely.

Magus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 12:25:03 PM »

I thought about that, but I still need to push the heat out of the case. The plastic case acts more as a insulator and keeps the heat in. I think if we had a metal case the heat sink would work.

Ira

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:19:14 PM »

I opened mine and voided the warranty because I felt the case was way to hot 5 minutes after turning it on.  I don't think the fan will make any real difference other than it makes the ethernet connectors feel cool.

Some one want to tool up a 3/4 inch spacer to separate the halves and make room for a bigger fan that does something?

Ira

zachofalltrades

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:42:52 PM »

I thought about that, but I still need to push the heat out of the case. The plastic case acts more as a insulator and keeps the heat in. I think if we had a metal case the heat sink would work.

My thinking was actually to add a heatsink and just leave the plastic case off. Depends on where your plug is though...

Alucard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:02:32 AM »

So I'm new to hard hacking, but I want to actually use my GuruPlug Plus for the purpose it was intended (home router).  Where should I go for heatsinks? What qualities should I look for? Would you recommend any models in particular?

Magus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:29:27 AM »

What I have found is most of the heat is coming from the CPU. The heat coming off this is heating the ethernet connectors. Therefore the fan is pushing the heat out of the box rather than heating the connectors. If we leave the cover off and have a heat sink,I think this will help. I believe the original units came with a heat sink and not a fan. Perhaps you can ask Globalscale to supply an original unit to you.

Dammuozz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:15:24 AM »

if you need heatsinks I think the one used for cooling RAMs on normal PCs would fit nice. they've got conductive tape sticked on it so you haven't to put conductive grease on it.

something like that:

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/enzotech-bmr-c1-forged-copper-bga-ramsinks---8-pack.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3285/ram-21/Zalman_ZM-RHS1_VGA_RAM_Heat_Sinks.html?tl=g40c18s236
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=132

then if you can fit them and the heat is still too much you can put a big fan like 12x12cm that run on 12V and connect to a 5v power supply so it runs very very slow and quiet but it still moves a lot of air!

on my sheevaplug I simply took off the plastic cover and put some heatsinks on the original sheeva heatsink, It was running 24/7 with no problem until i messed up the u-boot... Sad

dammuozz

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: