• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: integer/fixed point mp3 encoder  (Read 5986 times)
scruss

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2009, 05:21:04 AM »

I'm setting up my sheevaplug to be the server for the automatic podcast. This requires quite a bit of mp3 encoding. Without an FPU, the plug's processor is really dire at this - about 40% realtime.

Has anyone got a faster, preferably fixed point, encoder working? I see there's a port to ARM of the Shine encoder here, but it seems to use a lot of old Acorn RiscOS assumptions.

hug a wind turbine today!

wb6ymh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:39:36 AM »

I haven't tried it on the Plug yet, but take a look at:
program: comprec
source: http://unimut.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de/demi/comprec/index.html
based on shine from http://www.mp3-tech.org/programmer/sources/shine.zip
license: gplv2 (from original shine's COPYING file)

I've used it with good results on the TS7250 which is an 200Mhz ARM9 platform.

Skip

scruss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:46 PM »

great! That's perfect, and it's about 20x realtime on my sheevaplug. All I'm doing is encoding speech output from flite, so the lack of sound quality isn't a huge issue.

wb6ymh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »

All I'm doing is encoding speech output from flite, so the lack of sound quality isn't a huge issue.
That's an understatement!  I've been bugging Cepstral to do an ARM/Linux version, but it's not likely to happen.  The lack of a reasonable sounding TTS engine is one of the few minuses to the plug.  I'm just screwing around with a hobby application, for a real product Cepstral would be happy to do an OEM version.  Sigh...

Skip

scruss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »

I'm perfectly happy with flite, from the Festival team, though as I said, my needs are very limited. It runs great on the plug, and it will attempt to say anything you throw at it. Sure, it makes a mess of a few things, but it's designed for small systems.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: