• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turning my Sheevaplug into a firewall/router/server  (Read 4056 times)
UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2010, 02:57:57 PM »

I have a tired and dieing old Linksys router that runs Tomato currently. I'd like to replace it with my SheevaPlug. I picked up a USB-ethernet adapter to add to my Sheeva. Currently I have a webserver, a uPnP Media Server, and Samba running my my Sheeva. I'd like to keep that all installed and working. My Sheeva has Debian Lenny installed on it. Is there a simple package I can install that'll add router/firewall type functionality with a friendly web interface to my Sheeva?
Thanks for any tips/suggestions you can give me. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:26:36 PM by UnaClocker » Logged

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:58:59 PM »

I installed "Shorewall", and udhcpd. Couple hours of very carefully reading and re-reading the man pages and it worked as soon as I switched everything over. Next step will be to get the "webmin" working on it so I have the web "gui" interface that I've grown found of on my routers. Smiley

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »

Crap.. Seems to have completely eliminated my ability to use the MediaTomb server that's running on my plug.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »

port 1900 and 49152 (and up, if you did not nail it in the mediatomb config)

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »

Yeah, I locked it to 49152.. Added 49152 and 1900, both tcp and udp on both to the ACCEPT list.. And for the life of me, I can't get the stupid thing to show up since installing Shorewall. I've opened up the local network wide open, Mediatomb just won't show up. I don't understand it.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »

I had to add -i 192.168.1.2  (the local IP) to the string that's used to start mediatomb.. Pretty much confirming my suspicion.. Mediatomb was bonding to the wrong adapter. All better now.
Now if I could just get my USB hard drive to stop locking up every couple hours.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »

For my next trick... I'm going to get another USB-ethernet adapter, and add a DSL modem as a redundant internet connection. When my cable modem goes down, the Sheeva will seamlessly switch to using the DSL connection. Thus providing a much more bulletproof connection to the internet.
Anyone done this before? I need to figure out how.. hehe.. Wink

bdewacht

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »

1/ LAN layout:

Sheeva eth0: serves your local LAN.
Sheeva eth1: goes to your cable modem.
Sheeva eth2: goes to the DSL modem.

The static gateway of the hosts on the LAN have the sheevaplug.

2/ You write a small script monitoring the link to your cable modem, when it goes down you alter the routing table from eth0->eth1 to eth0->eth2.
You will probably get into trouble with iptables' stateful natting, which will cause your active connections to drop when the handover takes place,
but there is probably not much you can do here since the cable and DSL modem both have different internet IP addresses...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: