• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: bricked plug, power unit fine, what else to try?  (Read 3616 times)
gertjan

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »

Hi all

I have a problem with my SheevaPlug that seems to be little different from the 'now common' power unit problem reported here.

Like with so many of us my SheevaPlug stopped working one day, in my case after ten months of continuous service. I cannot ping it, the usb serial cable does not bring up the ttyUSB0 device like it used to nor any other lifesign, and the reset button doesn't change anything to that situation either.

What strikes me as odd, however, is that contrary to most of the reports I read here my leds are not blinking; instead the green led is continuously on, the blue one is OFF.

I have nevertheless explored what seems to be the main cause of trouble, the power unit. But when I open the plug, disconnect the four wire connector from the board and power the plug, i measure an almost perfect 5V between red and black. Which leaves me to conclude that the the power unit is fine.

Not really what I had hoped to find.

The last thing I tried is to unbrick the machine using the SheevaPlug intaller, by copying everything from the installer directory to a FAT32 formatted usb stick, sticking it in and powering the plug - but no change. Any option that involved the serial cable I further disregarded because of the missing ttyUSB0 device.

So I'm left with a plug that doesn't work and I'm absolutely clueless how to proceed. Needless to say I NEED that thing back online Smiley so any suggested thing to try is most welcome!

jcj187

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »

I have a similarly bricked sheevaplug. I was attempting to update uboot when it occurred.  Green led solid, no blue led. Yellow and green leds on nic port ( I have sheevaplug connected to my LAN ) are on solid most of the time, but at intervals, yellow led blinks about 10 times.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

jcj187

SUCCESS!!! After modifying runme.php of sheevaplug-installer-v1.0, I was successfully in reviving my sheevaplug. The major modification for me was to remove root from the line 43 which required user="root". I just made user ="".

I still have some work to do but the blue led is functional as well as Uboot.

Hope this helps someone else in their un-bricking

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:21:00 AM by jcj187 » Logged

Mike Levin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »

I don't know about the LED's, but what I do know is that the whole runme.exe and runme.php of the official installer are fragile with dependencies. It's basically just not tested enough.

So I went hunting for the "unbricks correctly every time" approach, and it's the double-whammy combo of a known-reliable USB flash drive (the first thing where most people get tripped up), and the use of the ESIA tool from sourceforge to handle the serial communication of the installs (the second place where most people get tripped up).

The whole process is outlined here http://shankserver.org/2010/09/unbrick-sheevaplug/

noidea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »

Yea OP, I've got the same issue going on here: http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=2320.msg13033

I dont think it has anything to do with being bricked, because it just 'stopped working,' like mine did. The issues didnt occur duing flashing or anything. I'm betting its a hardware issue :/

dattaway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:57:29 AM »

The best way to check the voltage from the power supply is with an oscilloscope.  A meter doesn't always catch tiny voltage spikes from a bad capacitor.

oberger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 09:20:54 AM »

Any conclusion to this problem ?

I'm facing the same issue, and it looks desperately quiet in both threads :-(

Any more help welcome, of course.

oberger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 04:41:24 AM »

Any conclusion to this problem ?

I'm facing the same issue, and it looks desperately quiet in both threads :-(

Any more help welcome, of course.

FYI, my problem was a dead PSU module. Replacing it with a new one ordered from NewIT (out of warranty) fixed the issue. Hope this helps.

xoxox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »

I had exactly the same issue. Green LED on, Blue LED of, plug was completely dead.

I opened the PSU, and wtf? That fucking thing looks like it was soldered by some mad chinese monkeys.
One cap was bulged, some electrolyte was sprawn over the platine.
The PSU still delivers 5V, but i bet it will be very unstable under load.

I've ordered a new PSU from Conrad => http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/514692/HN-Power-HNP24-050-C-Stecker-Netzteil-5-V-DC4000-mA
After soldering it on the molex connector, my sheevaplug came back from heaven (or hell if i think on all the torrents ;-)

I will never, never (NEVER!) buy something from Globalscale(fu) again.
Hope that the Trimslice will be available soon in germany :-)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: