• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Headless X Server  (Read 4630 times)
iansito

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »

I am trying to use my Sheevaplug as a headless X server. I tried following the guides online and I keep getting the error that no display was found. I saw some other posts about this issue but no fixes posted. I installed xauth, x11-common, etc... I also installed gnome from the command line to no avail. I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much for your help.

Iansito

bdewacht

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:04:05 PM »

You have to install vncserver on the plug, which "renders"/"draws" the complete GUI in memory. Next, you use a standard VNC client from a standard linux/windows/iPhone to connect to the plug and "read out" this memory and draw it on the screen of this linux/windows/iPhone.
In this case you need to export DISPLAY=:1.0 before launching any GUI applications)

An alternative way is to use ssh -X to the plug from a linux box and start a GUI application (there are solutions for windows as well). This is however much slower. Also, in this case, it is the linux box which is running the X server, so when you shut down this box, you will lose all GUI applications, which is not the case with running vncserver on the plug.
Normally the ssh client on the plug will export the DISPLAY variable automatically). Make sure you enable X forwarding in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

I am using vncserver on the plug with WindowMaker: it looks cool and uses much less resources than a full blown gnome / kde.

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »

It's also be possible to run a display manager, for example gdm, without actually starting a local X server. In order to do so, remove the entries in the gdm configuration that launch local X servers and enable network access. You can then connect using the "-query" option for the x.org X server or similar options for other X servers. Or use an xdm chooser.

This way, no X server runs on the plug but you can connect remotely using an X server and the XDM protocol. If you're interested in further details, I can get configuration files from my office box -- a QNAP but it's the same Marvell CPU and running the same Debian Squeeze I have on my Sheeva Plug at home.

Thanks,
--Christian

Linux777

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »

You can use xvfb + VNC and run any X11 apps. I played Doom2 on SheevaPlug in such way ^_^
xvfb + VNC is most easiest way

Juanisan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »

This gets me thinking....

Can you run Doom over a telnet/rlogin/ssh session?

http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/

I did this locally for Unreal Tournament  Grin  But never remote... on a plug....

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 12:16:35 PM »

For what it's worth I tried it (prboom). It does work, however the screen refresh is "wobbly", although the frame rate wouldn't be too bad without the wobbling. I couldn't get opengl working because it seems to inist on DRI and can't use glx...

Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: