• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Having replaced my Sheeva power supply...  (Read 1981 times)
adamf

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:29:42 AM »

I have just replaced my sheeva power supply with a socket (60 pence from an electronics store) + an external (from a linksys router) power brick.

Very quick & easy but a couple of quick thoughts post operation:

A) With no internal power supply the sheeva runs with no noticeable heat..... which is a real bonus

B) Why don't globalscale simply offer the external power brick route (i.e. no internal power supply just a wired-in socket & a 2-3A 5V brick? This would markedly help with any heat & power supply problems & frankly were I to buy a guru-plug or similar I'd probably change it to using an external brick in advance of using it.

Adam

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »

B) Why don't globalscale simply offer the external power brick route
Because then it would be a two-brick-and-power-wires computer, not a plug computer.

mhtsaras

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:52:51 PM »

I'm a happy plug computer addict with external power supply, and it's working fine until now(fingers crossed).
So I think that the right question is:
Why when I'm using an external 5v/3A power supply it's relatively cool or warm but when I was using my plug's original power supply (which is dead now) it was so hot that sometimes you could not touch the little metal case?

scaramanga

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:13:10 AM »

>A) With no internal power supply the sheeva runs with no noticeable heat..... which is a real bonus

Well, my plug still gets quite warm (with an external PSU). I guess this is from CPU. I also noticed a heat sink inside (over RAM/CPU).

The ~10W of energy must go somewhere.

But the external 5v 2a PSU stays very cool (Delta Electronics).

cheers

mhtsaras

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:17:38 AM »

For the extra heat I also attached a heat sink and left the plug open for the air to flow, because the plug's board is heating a lot.
This picture is taken before I replaced the power supply.

My full post...
http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1735.msg11797#msg11797

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: