• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Using a touchscreen with sheevaplug?  (Read 1209 times)
phantom_lord

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »

I'm looking to have something that will support squeezebox/VortexBox.

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to use sheevaplug connected to an external usb drive to that?

Also would be it be possible to control the software using a touchscreen monitor?

Thanks for any help! I don't know much about this stuff!

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "... something that will support squeezebox/VortexBox."

Do you mean something that runs Squeeze Server or something that runs softsqueeze?  ie. A server or an audio player?

If you want the plug to decode/play audio, you will need to add a USB attached audio card or USB speakers.  If you want the Plug to run Squeeze Server, it will do that; but, without the ability to trans-code.  There are threads about both of these on this site if you search.

Since the Plug doesn't have video or graphics hardware built in, you pretty much need to use a USB attached graphics card.  Some of the mini-monitors from Mimo have touch built in and have been used with a Plug.  Search this site for DisplayLink and you should be able to find a few threads about this.

I have a Plug that uses a USB attached SSD and runs Squeeze Server 24/7.  After initially struggling to get Squeeze Server installed, I haven't had any problems with this setup for ~10 months.

There is a package called SqueezePlug (http://squeezeplug.de/) that is a version of Squeeze Server on Debian that can be loaded onto a Plug.  I have not used it so have no direct experience with it.

Mark

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: