• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: SD card support  (Read 37029 times)
pjratl

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2009, 05:42:30 AM »

Anyone tried the SD card slot? Specfically support for SDHC cards?

kryptos1227

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:09:00 AM »

I have put one in, but have not mounted to it yet.....running into time issues

kryptos1227

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:13:50 AM »

Mount to which one?

root@debian:/etc# more fstab
# UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs   /var/cache/apt  tmpfs   defaults,noatime

kilowatt
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:49:21 AM »

I tried a SDHC card and it worked fine.  It is found as /dev/mmcblk0p1  so you can mount it with:

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/tmp/
ls -l /mnt/tmp/

or look in /dev/disk/by-label/ for a link with a label name that can be used.

mount /dev/disk/by-label/Kingston /mnt/tmp

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:08:37 AM by kilowatt » Logged

elBradford

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »

I haven't had success mounting mmcblk0p1, however I did fdisk mmcblk0 and mounted it as ext3 using the command

Code:
mount -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0 /mnt/tmp

egrep
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »

I tried a SDHC card and it worked fine.  It is found as /dev/mmcblk0p1  so you can mount it with:

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/tmp/
ls -l /mnt/tmp/

I haven't had success mounting mmcblk0p1, however I did fdisk mmcblk0 and mounted it as ext3 using the command

Code:
mount -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0 /mnt/tmp

Thanks so much! Mounted fine, but then I decided to do it right.
Code:
cfdisk /dev/mmcblk0p1
(to create a linux partition)
/sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p1
(to create the ext3 filesystem)
(add to /etc/fstab)
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /sdvol  ext3 defaults 1 1
mount /sdvol
df -k
/dev/mmcblk0p1         3946928     73436   3672996   2% /sdvol

Whoot! Now, to move all logging and other stuff there and see if it survives a reboot. I have to admit, I am not real impressed with how the card lugs into the unit. I also have to remember that this slot will not be available on a "retail" version (if say, I ever go into making one of these a product).

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »

<snip>

Whoot! Now, to move all logging and other stuff there and see if it survives a reboot. I have to admit, I am not real impressed with how the card lugs into the unit. I also have to remember that this slot will not be available on a "retail" version (if say, I ever go into making one of these a product).

Where did you read that the SD slot will not be available on the "retail" version?

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

egrep
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:52:51 PM »

Where did you read that the SD slot will not be available on the "retail" version?

You know, I think I just assumed that when it talked about the mini-usb being on the dev kit. I have looked over all the web page info I can find and it is not listed as "only in the dev kit". I do see that the SDIO slot is part of the JTAG adapter card that contains the usb debug port.

I am looking at the "SheevaPlug DevKit Reference Design Rev1.1" pdf that is available on the site or on the cd. If the JTAG adapter board is only part of the development version (all there is now), then so be it. Still a hell of a deal for a server. I will pay $45 more for a box I can expand the disk on by 4-16 GB. My gut tells me SDIO would be faster access than usb disk. usb is still a very viable option. Right now, I am working on php and getting log/lib data from installed packages stored on the 4 GB SDIO disk.

KaiBo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 08:21:06 AM »

As 4GB-Cards seem to work fine, 16GB should as well. But before I go to get one: Anybody tried that yet?  Roll Eyes

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:26:38 AM »

My 8G Patriot card didn't work properly.

pjratl

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:46 AM »

I have 8 gig private labeled sdhc class 6 card working like a champ

bzhou
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »

An 8 GB Kingston class 6 card does not work.

kilowatt
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »

I tried an 8 GB class 6 Kingston card with the uImage.sheeva.20090319 kernel a while back and it seemed to work.  I doesn't work with uImage-2.6.30-rc2-optware-build-2.  If I get a chance I'll switch back and verify that it worked with the other kernel.  I really just did a few simple checks back then.

Mark

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 06:20:37 PM »

4G Sandisk Extreme III seems to behave the same as the 8G Patriot - it hits a speedbump when formatting at about the 26 block mark. Being a smaller disk than the 8G, it finished formatting (the Patriot more or less stopped, it was going so slowly).

I may try using it, but I'm a little nervous. I think the SDIO support is a bit weak.

kilowatt
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 08:21:06 PM »

So I have two Plugs.  One was still virgin so I did some testing with it and my new 8 GB Kingson SDHC class 6 card.  I installed it in the slot. It was found and devices added with no error messages. I mounted it as vfat and copied a bunch of files on to it (my /sbin directory) the only errors were about not being able to create links on a vfat drive.  So it worked fine.  I used fdisk to remove the current partition.  Then I used cfdisk to add a new 8GB ext3 partition.  I ran mkfs.ext3 to make file system mounted it and copied 'cp -av' the entire root file system on to it.  No errors.

So the conclusion is the MMC/SD slot works fine with a virgin Plug.  The problems seem to arrive with the mainline kernels.

Mark

edit:
I restarted my modified slug and inserted the card as it was left off from the virgin plug.

Console kept on reporting:

mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

over and over again.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:40:12 PM by kilowatt » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to: