• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My modified Sheevaplug  (Read 3141 times)
superpat

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »

Hi,

When my Sheevaplug power supply took a turn for the worse, I decided it was time to do some modifications.

I had already modified my old V1.3 pcb  by fitting and enabling the Esata  connection, (see old posts).

I have never used the Sheevaplug as a "plug" computer, my mains power strips are difficult to reach and full of heavy cables. I could never see the point of struggling to connect a USB stick, the console cable and the esata cable in the dark under my desk, so I have always used the device on the desktop or on a shelf with the supplied mains cable.  The connections are still fragile, and one has to be careful that they are not disengaged.

The Sheevaplug although not in the same central heating radiator class as the Guruplug, still runs very hot. There is not enough cooling in the tiny plug enclosure.

So I decided to make a new enclosure. I purchased a "Hammond" extruded die cast aluminium box from Maplins and mounted my Sheeva pcb and my 500 Gb Sata 2.5 in hard drive in it.

I obtained some new heat sink padding, which I put between the I.c.s and the Sheeva aluminium heat sink. The original heat sink pads were very thin and was missing in two places, a very shoddy job by Globalscale  originally!) I mounted the stack on the lid of the box with white grease heat compound between the Sheeva heat sink plate and the lid. I used the coil springs from the old enclosure to give some expansion when the heatsink expands, I did not want to strap it too tightly and damage the ic cases or lead frames.

The reason I mounted the pcb on the lid was that I can slide the lid out of the case and then work on the pcb at my convenience, it still being heat sunk to the lid. ( I can also connect the console mini usb with the lid out.)

It became apparent that it was going to be difficult to connect to a Sata hard drive in the case, since the Sheeva pcb Esata connector pokes though the end plate, so I had to bodge an out and in cable run.

I am using an external 5V 3A power brick. 

In use the box does not get appreciably warm even after many hours running. I have Debian Squeeze installed on the hard drive, running very nicely. I am now building the ultimate low power home server.  Cheesy

When I can find a couple of 5.1mm power connectors I will make a little power breakout cable, and measure the 5V current draw into the enclosure.

I have attached some pictures of the box

regards

Patrick

* sheevamod5.JPG (202.94 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1377 times.)

* sheevamod3.JPG (189.7 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1356 times.)

* sheevamod1.JPG (198.3 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1332 times.)

* sheevamod4.JPG (199.43 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1344 times.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:35:31 PM by superpat » Logged

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »

That's a beautiful looking plug computer!  You should go into business retrofitting.

Brandt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:06:28 PM »

Looks awesome. I just ordered a new short body SD card socket from digikey cause i broke my old one ^_^

If I were to put it in a chassis like yours I would have used a full length sd card socket with an ejector Cheesy

dennis55

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 04:38:06 PM »

Patrick, nice bit of h/brew there.
can you tell me which external power supply you used , my Plug-original- has been running fine and cool (touch wood!); since i got it last year.Smiley
it's only used as a server to  replace a Qnap TS109 Pro Nas with SqueezeBoxserver on 4gb Sandisk and a W/Digital ext usb drive.
the Sheeva's processor makes short work of SqueezeBoxserver  duties.

cheers

dennis

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »

@Dennis

Sorry about the delay been on my hols, to Sunny (not) Corsica.

I have a number of Mains power bricks with 5V O/P but I think the one I used for the expansion was an Ebay purchase.

It is a Chinese "no name" 5V 3A o/p Switched reg brick that has a "kettle" type 230V ac mains lead socket on the side, (not a wall wart).

Reading some of the Complaining posts about the new Guruplug and the jet engine cooling noise, I am sure that it is time that the Guru plugs got the new packaging treatment.

cheers

Patrick

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: