• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GuruPlug Server PLUS no complaint about the fan ?  (Read 23097 times)
gsk99

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »

It seems to me that the biggest issue is the case... I don't think such a small fan can make that much noise just by itself. I'm wondering if when it's opened, you get that much noise

I totally agree.  I think the case is the root of all the heat problems.  They keep trying to cram everything into that little case but it just doesn't work out well as it's designed.  Personally I could care less about the tiny size of the case but it increases the wow factor in the marketing - as long as they don't turn it on Smiley  It's all the other features of the GP that I bought it for.  The fan is only about 1mm behind the usb ports and most of it is covered by the ports so a lot of the noise may be due to very poor airflow.  There's also no venting on the other end of the case so the air can't escape efficiently.  The solution is obviously just a quick fix rather than fixing it properly.  Too bad - nice product otherwise.

Dammuozz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 05:10:17 AM »

in my opinion this fan has been added after globalscale mail was filled with complaining about fried PSUs

and was not in the original guruplug design because there is no space or holes built up to let the air flow...and the fan is kept together with some sort of duct tape...

and If the fan was planned to be there I think they never put it so close to the network socket...

it's only my opinion however...

dammuozz

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 08:18:25 AM »

and If the fan was planned to be there I think they never put it so close to the network socket...
Yes I agree, but why seems it so hard to show us a picture of the "professional upgrade kit"?
So that I could decide to buy the kit from GlobaleScale or try to build my own (better) version...

rickyleeb

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 06:21:33 AM »

Got to say after such a long wait I feel really let down by what seems like something they have just thrown in there. This is not a "professional upgrade kit" its a fan and some duck tape.

I am also in two minds if I want to keep the unit now.

Just my 2 cent

Dammuozz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 01:06:41 PM »

no matter where you put it, a little fan like 4x4 cm or even 5x5 will always be extremely noisy because of high rpm they have.

Ira

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 08:27:58 PM »

I got mine back and it's been a bit hectic here to get it running right now and while the fan clearly cools off the ethernet jacks, the plastic sides still seem to be way to hot which means the insides are probably still way to hot.

Ira

Dammuozz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 01:57:47 AM »

if you don't care about the warranty just open it and put some heatsink on the cpu and other heated chips

you can find heatsinks on overclocker's sites like the one used to cool chipsets or rams or vga rams

examples:
http://www.enzotechnology.com/air_cooling.htm
http://www.dvhardware.net/article31008.html
http://www.advancetec.co.uk/acatalog/Akasa_VGA_RAM_heatsink.html
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2833.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119061

some of them even got conductive tape sticked on the bottom so you don't even need to put the conductive grease on it...
just google something like ram heatsink or mosfet heatsink...I think you can find ram heatsinks in any computer shop for about 15-20$
the copper one are "most efficent" and expensive than the alluminium one....just mind their dimensions and the space you have on the guruplug before buying it!!

another way to take away a lot of heat from the guruplug is to take out the standard power supply and put it far from the guruplug boards so the PSU heat will not heat the boards...you can even use an external psu like the one you use for cell phones or routers...you only need to respect voltage and power requirements....for the sheevaplug you need a 5V 3A psu...I think the pogoplug runs on 5v and will not draw more than 4 amperes...maybe buy a 5A psu if you want no surprise.

if there's still to much heat you can plug to the 5V psu a 12x12cm 12v computer fan so it'll run very very slowly and quiet but still blow a lot of air on the heatsinks....but I think that copper heatsinks and a fan will cool down a normal CPU so it'll be kinda overkill...

obviously the smart and good-looking but unstable pogoplug will become an ugly opened pogoplug with an external psu and heatsinks all around but will run for years on full load with no heat problems... Smiley

dammuozz

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: