• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Globalscale order process - CAVEAT EMPTOR  (Read 2871 times)
haqnaj

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »

I placed an order with Globalscale over two months ago, and am yet to receive anything. Today I called yet again, and am told there are production delays, and they won't be shipping till the end of the month. Who knows if that time promise will hold. They had charged my card right away, which makes it worse, just on principle.  I had intended to buy several dozen units should my initial tests succeed.  However now I am abandoning that plan, as I will not stand having thousands of dollars locked away in their coffers while they get their act together.  On top of it I am hearing rumors of instability in the plug.  So, future buyers beware -- it might be worth looking elsewhere.

fedor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:58:15 PM »

You are not alone. The forum is littered with posts regarding:

1) Globalscale taking month(s) to fill orders.
2) Globalscale taking your money as soon as you make an order (legality?).
3) Globalscale not keeping customers updated with the status of their order.
4) Globalscale never replying to modern forms of communication i.e. email.
5) Globalscale producing products with faulty power supplies.
6) Globalscale producing products that overheat during normal usage.

It amazes me Globalscale is somehow still in business.

Someone here needs to make a sticky or a front page warning about Globalscale. New people need to be warned about how shady their business practice is and what to expect when ordering through them.

Magus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:45:33 PM »

Globalscale is not perfect by a long way!

From my experience they have always made the refunds quickly when requested. They are not the first to release product with issues (look at the Iphone). They conceded there was a problem and then stopped shipping product until the problem is fixed. Obviously they have their work cut out to try and catch up. Let's see how they perform in the next few months now the problem has been fixed.

krvs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 03:07:32 AM »

Magus, you're giving Globalscale a lot of credit.
For me Globalscale is definitively a no go. Maybe my requirements are different then yours?
I like to use the plug computer as an appliance for SMB's, SOHO's. So I need a plug computer which can run reliably 24h/7days for several years. (I don't mind if it means I have to pay twice as much, as long as I get a product which is highly reliable.)
It's not my aim to bash Globalscale, but I find it necessary that Marvell gets a clear understanding of the concerns in the plug community regarding Globalscale.

fedor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »

The issues with Globalscale have been known for some time now. Various posts here date back a year or so with complaints.

Since this website is owned by Marvell, presumably Marvell employees read some of the stuff that goes on here. I don't seem to recall anyone from Marvell even posting in a complaint thread or mentioning they were aware of issues with Globalscale. I could be wrong.

Such threads mentioning problems with Globalscale often just get apologists or "linux embedded developer" types popping out of the woodwork to "smite" people with their cowardly steak knife of -1 karma while adding they are happy to wait months and get dodgy products.

If Marvell cared about any of this, they would have mentioned something to the community by now - as this is the plugcomputer community.

Since they haven't, it's fair to say nothing is likely to improve.

Magus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 05:29:09 PM »

I have been in the industry a lot longer than most. I am use to buying Development Kits, all are flawed in their own ways. And, because you normally are wanting one to write applications for a new IC invariable there are delays.

This is where most are missing the point. You must expect things not to be 100% when you are using a Dev Kit. The Sheeva and Guru's are no better or worse than those I have used from Intel, TI and ST. If you want an appliance then pay double and buy one. Ask any IC manufacturer, they are usually very lucky to sell more than 100 in a year. I believe last year alone there was more than 15 k sold.  Therefore imagine how many issues are going to be reported.

I think Globalscale is not perfect and do a rotten job of keeping us the public informed! I had similar issue with the likes on Intel and their "Atom Dev Kit". Maybe it has made me more forgiving with Globalscale.

krvs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:27:36 AM »

On Marvell's 'Plug Computer Development page' (=http://www.marvell.com/platforms/plug_computer/plug_dev_kit.html)
it is stated:

The Plug Computer is a development platform, targeted for use as a plug computer, and designed to run network-based software services. It features a ARMADA™ Series SoC with an embedded Marvell® Sheeva™ CPU core running at 1.2 GHz. This device connects to the network using GbE, offers desktop class performance, and can be used to replace a PC-based home server for many applications. ...

On Globalscale's page  (=http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-2-globalscale-technologies-products.aspx)  it is stated:
SheevaPlug development kit is a plug computing device that runs network-based software services that normally require a dedicated personal computer.

Luckily there are enough posts on this forum that warn me that Globalscale's products are just not reliable enough to fulfill the role of  a home server. So I have to disagree with Magnus that the communities expectations are too high for just 'a development kit'. The problem is that it is not positioned/sold like just 'a development kit'.

I hope it will be Marvell's top priority for the plug to improve the reliability of the development kit in the coming months instead of adding new features ...

brawny

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 12:47:43 PM »

Has anyone in Canada ordered a Sheevaplug from New IT in the UK? 

With all the troubles that folks are havnig with Globalscale, perhaps it would be worth trying to receive the product quickly and more reliably?  I'm not sure what the cost would be with exchange/shipping/brokerage - anyone have any experience?

fedor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:27:55 AM »

The trouble with New IT is, if you are outside of the UK, they seem quite pricey. I'm getting 33% increase in price (including postage outside of UK) compared to Globalscale if I use their (New IT's) website. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but that is what their site shopping cart tells me.

I will not buy again from Globalscale. Unfortunately, New IT is so costly it is hard to justify. I mean, at these prices, it may be more worthwhile to get Atom boards - for my purposes at least. Or something else...

webhostbudd

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »

NewIt gets its devices from GlobalScale so it really isn't any different either way as far as product reliability goes. Not to mention you have to wait a couple weeks extra before the plugs are shipped from GlobalScale to NewIT. It is nice though, mainly because the managers at NewIT actually care about their customers.

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 06:02:28 AM »

you have to wait a couple weeks extra before the plugs are shipped from GlobalScale to NewIT.

Just to point out that normally all our products are available off the shelf, but due to a couple of large orders on the SheevaPlugs we were out of stock for a couple of weeks. Normal Delays (as for everyone) on the GuruPlugs  Sad

webhostbudd

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 11:00:29 AM »

Do you have any idea when the plugs will be shipped then?

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »

Do you have any idea when the plugs will be shipped then?

If you order an item that we have in stock before 2pm UK time, it is shipped the same day.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: