• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Compiling nfs-kernel-server support into kernel  (Read 3451 times)
whosmatt

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:03:02 AM »

I am following directions to compile kernel using the supplied sources.  i need support for nfs-kernel-server.  I intend to modify the mv88f6281_defconfig, just wanting to know which NFS options I need to turn on.  Here is the default:

Code:
# Network File Systems
#
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
# CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL is not set
# CONFIG_NFS_V4 is not set
# CONFIG_NFS_DIRECTIO is not set
# CONFIG_NFSD is not set
CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
CONFIG_NFS_COMMON=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
# CONFIG_SUNRPC_BIND34 is not set
# CONFIG_RPCSEC_GSS_KRB5 is not set
# CONFIG_RPCSEC_GSS_SPKM3 is not set
# CONFIG_SMB_FS is not set
# CONFIG_CIFS is not set
# CONFIG_NCP_FS is not set
# CONFIG_CODA_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_9P_FS is not set

My gut says that I need to add a line CONFIG_NFSD=y ?     I'm not terribily new to Linux but I have only compiled a kernel once before and it was a long time ago. 

Thanks,

Matt

whosmatt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »

Ok, so I have gotten as far as making a new config file with what I think are the necessary changes... so I make config and then make and I get this:

Code:
make: arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc: Command not found
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/arm/Kconfig
make: arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc: Command not found
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  SYMLINK include/asm-arm/arch -> include/asm-arm/arch-feroceon-kw
make[1]: `include/asm-arm/mach-types.h' is up to date.
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  CC      arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s
/bin/sh: arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc: not found
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 127
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

from what I gather, I am missing something in my path or in /etc/environment but i am not sure what.

edit:  i should mention that i am compiling on the sheevaplug and that i have installed build-essentials and libncurses5-dev per http://www.computingplugs.com/index.php/Building_a_custom_kernel
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:45:48 PM by whosmatt » Logged

pushbx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:49:54 AM »

I think you're trying to make the Feroceon branch on the sheeva plug.  I believe that branch was targeted for cross-compiling, I'm pretty sure I remember make calling arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc when I cross compiled the kernel.  My suggestion would be to use the orion or mainline kernel instead.

I suppose you could also hack it if you really wanted to by defining the CROSS_COMPILE= flag when you call make.  Check to make sure you have arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc installed on your sheeva plug and point the CROSS_COMPILE flag to that instead.

whosmatt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:09:46 AM »

I'll just try another kernel; I don't really care what it is as long as it has the support I need.

Thanks,

Matt

I think you're trying to make the Feroceon branch on the sheeva plug.  I believe that branch was targeted for cross-compiling, I'm pretty sure I remember make calling arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc when I cross compiled the kernel.  My suggestion would be to use the orion or mainline kernel instead.

I suppose you could also hack it if you really wanted to by defining the CROSS_COMPILE= flag when you call make.  Check to make sure you have arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc installed on your sheeva plug and point the CROSS_COMPILE flag to that instead.

whosmatt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:26:08 AM »

FYI you were exactly right; I just pulled linux-2.6.30-rc1.tar.bz2, untarred it, configged and turned on a couple extra filesystems and nfs server and now it's compiling.  Hopefully it will boot.  Thanks for the help; the more I do this the easier it gets.

-M

edit:  out of curiosity, is the kirkwood_defconfig the same or mostly the same as the config for the kernel that ships with the sheevaplug?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:30:39 AM by whosmatt » Logged

pushbx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »

I think it is mostly the same, because they only set the minimum stuff needed to run on the sheeva plug.  A few things you would want to compiled into the kernel that's not in the defconfig is:

nfs, fat

oh, and don't forget to set arcnumber and mainline variables in uboot, otherwise the kernel won't boot!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: