• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Build Module  (Read 2574 times)
epedersen

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:46:38 AM »

I am attempting to plug a USB serial adapter in the Plug computer (an Arduino.)  As it dosn't have any modules in the installed kernel to support this, has anyone figured out how to build a module for it, and can get some general instructions together.

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:03:38 AM »

The kernel's at http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/ have usb modules.  Use 2.6.22.19 for the simplest upgrade to the stock kernel.  Just download README-2.6.22.19 to your plug and run it.

jmknapp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:26:55 AM »

I'm running the 2.6.30 rc3 kernel. To get the ftdi drivers to work, load the usbserial and ftdi-sio kernel modules. Then, plugging in an Arduino results in /dev/ttyUSB0 showing up in the Arduino IDE menu, yay! I verified that the serial connection works with a simple sketch that prints to the serial port--the characters are displayed in the IDE serial monitor window.

One snag though: uploading sketches isn't working--haven't tracked down that problem yet. The IDE just hangs after compiling the sketch. Maybe command-line would work--haven't tried that yet.

But at least it looks like an Arduino with an existing sketch connected to the USB can communicate over the serial line to the plug.

BTW, I'm using a Targus USB hub (Bend-A-Hub) where the Arduino is one of three USB devices.

Joe

tomplug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:32:49 AM »

Another success story:

I had a USB device that has a SiliconLabs cp210x UART in it and I wanted to get the /dev/ttyUSB* serial device going.  I had the default 2.6.22.18 kernel.  After many false starts trying "modprobe" I found this note here and got http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/README-2.6.22.19.  Upon rebooting, the device "/dev/ttyUSB0" showed up and I could use it.

Note: I had to "apt-get install wget" before using the upgrade/flash script.

-T

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: