• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rsync Backup Server  (Read 1570 times)
pshankland

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:30:29 AM »

Hi all,

Just come across these Plug Computers while looking for ways to backup Windows PC's via Rsync - who knows what I Google'd to get here Smiley

Anyway, I was wondering if one of the devices was able to run as an Rsync server so I could connect a large capacity USB thumb drive and then DeltaCopy from local PC's to the device?

Can anyone suggest which product I would need for this?

Finally, I am familier with CentOS / RHEL but not other distro's - what distro is running on these devices and is it possible to port Fedora or RHEL across?

Thanks.

Pete.

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »

You can run whatever distro you like that supports ARM. See: http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Main_Page

There is Windows ports of Rsync (see: cwrsync) so you can sync Windows to Plug.

pshankland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:04:37 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I reckon Fedora it is, although just installing Debian within VMware to see some of the differences!

With regards to the products: Do all the SheevaPlugs do the same thing but just simply have different IO ports?

Thanks.

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »

In regards to SheevaPlug, GuruPlug, PogoPlug, TonidoPlug, and DockStar, yes, they mainly differ in perhiperals -- installed RAM size, number of USB/SATA/Ethernet/serial ports, SD card slots, wireless, etc. Generally, distros and software that runs on one should run on the others (with bootloader tweaks of course).

feffer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »

I'm using a standard SheevaPlug as an rsync backup server, and it works well. It has Debian squeeze installed and the client machine runs linux (Ubunutu and Sidux). You might want to do some reading on the Linux part of this forum. There's lots of info about distros, issues etc. As was mentioned any distro supporting ARM will work, but many (most?) seem to be using debian so you might want to consider that. The differences aren't too great, and it might be easier to find answers if/when issues come up.

Regards,
feffer

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: