• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SheevaPlug v2 - Hardware Requests  (Read 12805 times)
tschaboo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »

For me: just (E-)SATA, and if possible more USB-ports. As mentioned above, other functionality like VGA is available in other products. So i'd suggest to add nothing that would increase the cost of the plug significantly. But exposing the SATA-interface should be almost for free.

And, if it's possible for the same price at a later time, i wouldn't complain if it'd have 1GB of RAM. But it's not necessary!

dieterk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 12:30:26 AM »

Hi marvell developers,

first please let me say that the sheevaplug is a very nice box.
One suggestion I would have:

Maybe it would make handling of the plug more ease if the jtag / console interface would be powered from USB VBUS?
This would preventing the serial ports from disappear if someone disconnects power from the plug.

Dieter

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »

A couple of us SheevaPlug owners were discussing the Plug over lunch yesterday, and I made the same comment -- that a Gig of memory would be nice.  One of the other guys pointed out that he thought the Marvel chip only brought out 30 bits of address:  30 bits == 1 GB of addressable memory, so with 1/2 GB of RAM and 1/2 GB of NAND, they appear to be maxed out.

(E-)Sata would be nice, though.

smartboyathome

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »

A couple of us SheevaPlug owners were discussing the Plug over lunch yesterday, and I made the same comment -- that a Gig of memory would be nice.  One of the other guys pointed out that he thought the Marvel chip only brought out 30 bits of address:  30 bits == 1 GB of addressable memory, so with 1/2 GB of RAM and 1/2 GB of NAND, they appear to be maxed out.

Well, according to the specs (since I don't have mine yet, I can't tell) you should be able to reuse a NAND flash module from most common USB Flash drives to increase the internal memory, and as for RAM isn't it just normal DDR2 RAM like they use in netbook computers? If so you can probably find a bigger stick online.

dieterk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »

Hi restamp,

IFAIK NAND isn't a memory mapped flash like NOR. It uses a 8 Bit mulitplexd Data/Adress/Command Bus. So the NAND flash doesn't limit the DDR Memory on board.
And also DDR isn't directly memory mapped. You have much more signals like bank select and such things.
If you are interested you can have a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

Dieter

(E-)Sata would be nice, though.

rjs

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »

Maybe a later version of the CPU with a better Ethernet controller, failing that better documentation on the algorithm to use the Tx and Rx descriptors.

U-Boot on my SheevaPlug is unable to send DHCP requests when it first powers up, so the problem isn't just my driver code.

docbee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 11:30:26 AM »

From my (application driven) perspective I would like to see
- 2 or 3 more USB 2.0 ports
- a cooler plug (I find it heating up a much)
- a smaller plug (the bulky box is not really filled well)
- a tiny included buzzer to be able to give some status beeps
- a compact but sturdy way to add a few more GB of storage (hiding a CF or SD card)
- a more easy way to bring an application to it, even for the non-geek
- a mini-pci adapter to take a WLAN card

I can't see a need for e-sata/usb3. I can't believe someone using a plug to connect a bunch of external drives to it. There are plenty of NAS out there putting all this into a suitable box instead of doing a mess with connecting different boxes with cables. Kirkwood might be a fine NAS platform, but the plug doesn't fit there from its physical design... Like NSLU2 which was used for a lot of things instead of being a NAS, it was originally designed for ;-)

just my $.02

rbgray

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 09:10:08 AM »

- a compact but sturdy way to add a few more GB of storage (hiding a CF or SD card)
Seems to me that one way to do this would be to redo the development piggy back board such that the SD socket is moved back enough that the card is within the case.   For production, insert $MEMORY_CARD_OF_CHOICE and put on a lid which covers the card and usb console port.  The development system lid would have a recess to allow access to the SD card.

rektide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 07:19:15 AM »

In order of my own priorities:
  • esata
  • 1gb ram
  • heating
li]sd card[/li]
[/list]

esata is by far the most significant; its the difference between an interesting toy and a fully capable PC.

CqCn

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »

IFAIK NAND isn't a memory mapped flash like NOR. It uses a 8 Bit mulitplexd Data/Adress/Command Bus. So the NAND flash doesn't limit the DDR Memory on board. Dieter
Does the NAND on the board use a serial interface for data?

Cordially, CqCn

CqCn

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 10:17:03 AM »

In order of my own priorities...
heating
What is heating?

Cordially, CqCn

dattaway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »

What is heating?

My guess is a device to be used in extreme environments.  I work in refrigeration and see most of the failures due to cold and condensation.  Its a whole different world at -20F.

kand

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »

It must be obvious there are several competing and incompatible interests in the next version of the plug, I myself nope the plug will be kept to a bare minimum just like it is. What I would look for is USB 3.0 support as soon as possible, not due to the increased speed, but improved power efficiency. Besides USB 3.0 is already fully supported in the new Linux kernel, and essentially makes eSATA and so on irrelevant. Adding wireless would increase power usage and thus decrease interest in the unit for a lot of purposes, several of mine included, though I could certainly see it succeed as a wireless router too!
Beyond USB 3.0 I believe the only interest would be a choice of flash disk size and ram, as for most purposes 512Mb should be enough.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: