• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boot with NO ethernet?  (Read 2678 times)
cgbjon

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »

Gang,

I've been using the sheeva for about a week now having flashed 2.6.30-rc2 on it and everything seems to be working fine.  My problem is that my minicom attachment to my linux box goes "Offline" as soon as I pull the ethernet wire from the plug.  It seems that the plug just STOPS communicating on the serial (USB console) port when there is no ethernet attached.  I have also tried booting the plug with no ethernet attached and am not able to minicom
to the plug at all.

Is there something I am missing?

jon

iovnow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »

Try removing /etc/init.d/network from startup?  Look at the update-rc.d command for usage.

cgbjon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:26:38 PM »

I have tried not starting /etc/init.d/networking but to no avail.  Actually, it's worse than not booting.  I can be working along on the console just fine, using minicom or putty from ubuntu box and, if I pull the ethernet cable from the plug, my console goes "offline" and stops working.  Even if I plug the ethernet back up, my console does not resume, yet the plug is still running as I can ssh into it (once the wire is plugged back in).  The only way to get the console back is to reboot the plug (WITH the ethernet plugged in).

ANY ideas appreciated..

thx

iovnow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:05:48 AM »

I suppose not running the network start up script is in fact a bad idea as a lot of stuff relies on the loop back interface (lo).  Under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts edit ifcfg-eth0 and set ONBOOT=no. 

And sorry if this is the wrong path.  I dont have my ubuntu box on again and only have access to CentOS boxes atm.  'find / -name ifcfg-eth0' should get the path for you.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: