• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Web Siet Build  (Read 1838 times)
Rizla

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:44:40 AM »

Hi to all, this is my first post. It seams like I have been a member for ages as I refer to this form a lot.

What I would like help with is, I want to set up a web pages on my SP and don't know where to start.
I would appreciate any help, tips and advice on how to do this. Can anyone suggest a ditty that will fill the job for me

Thank You from Edinburgh Scotland.

Do fox's eat grapes?

rrush

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »

Take a look at Drupal6  www.drupal.org  Its in the debian repositories so installation was easy.  I haven't done much with it yet other then setting up photo galleries, but there's a lot of modules/themes/documentation to suit a lot of needs.

iovnow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »

Ive been running my plug with debian and apache2 for at least a year now with no problems.  Recently I switched it to use virtual hosts and its been great.

I would start here:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/
for the debian install.  I believe this guy is a member this board too.  Apache should be pretty straight forward to install once the base OS is up and running.

Rizla

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:08:25 AM »

Take a look at Drupal6  www.drupal.org  Its in the debian repositories so installation was easy.  I haven't done much with it yet other then setting up photo galleries, but there's a lot of modules/themes/documentation to suit a lot of needs.
With all due respect, this link you gave is to the main pages, one has to troll through all the info to get to where one wants to get to.
When I give a person a link to a specific web page I always navigate to the page that offers the download or information, which makes things a lot easer for the end user.

As of yet I cant find a download link for Debian Squeeze. There is one for Debian Lenny, will this work with Squeeze?

John

Do fox's eat grapes?

rrush

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:02:12 AM »

The main page is the source for getting to all the info about Drupal like the wiki and modules and what you can do with it. 

I did post that it was in the Debian repositories...I'm currently running Squeeze.  'apt-get install drupal6'

Rizla

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 10:16:52 PM »

Hi, thank you for this. Now I got to work out on how to set things up, to-which, if I know the Sheeva, this is not going to be an easy task. Probably will be doin' more postings regarding this.

John

Do fox's eat grapes?

Rizla

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 11:54:18 PM »

Ive been running my plug with debian and apache2 for at least a year now with no problems.  Recently I switched it to use virtual hosts and its been great.

I would start here:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/
for the debian install.  I believe this guy is a member this board too.  Apache should be pretty straight forward to install once the base OS is up and running.
[/quote
Hi, thank you for the advice on this problem. At the moment I'm running Debian Squeeze from an 8 GB class 6 SD card which is cool, if I screw up I can just re-load the image back on which I got from New IT. As I'm a new user to Linux I find it a wee bit overwhelming to get the hang of. I've used Windows (mostly XP) for the last 10 years and wished I hade used Linux from the start.  Just after a week of using the SP I bricked it (like a lot of others)  and it has taken me a lot of work and a lot of reading and searching to get it back on-line, to which I did after Three weeks of intensive, frustrating hours.

I would be grateful if you could advise me on how you first set up your Web Server and how you moved to a 'virtual Hosts'

For people like me that know, not a lot
------------------------------------------------------------
This is the URL for the tool to write the image to an SD card
http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/
And this is where I got the images from
http://www.newit.co.uk/drive-images/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:58:38 PM by Rizla » Logged

Do fox's eat grapes?

toprngr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:27:06 AM »

Well, I donít quite get what you really want from the questions you have asked earlier. I was wondering are you looking for how to design a website, or how to have a website launched? There is always an abundance of software to help out on the design part. And I guess you already know what you can use to solve the design problem. on the other hand, if it is about setting up your website, if you prefer to have someone to do it for you, there are lots of people in this forum offering cheap services.

Rizla

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 05:10:02 AM »

Thank you for responding, it's much appreciated.

The problem is, I installed Drupal6 on the plug, it's the thing in the middle I cant workout.
How do I access this software on the plug to start building this web thing.
I know there is a lot of drag-and-drop places out there, but I want to have control over my files other than them being on the cloud.
I think what I need is some help in setting up the plug to talk to the server that I select for hosting.

PS. Sorry for the incoherent babbling.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:13:19 AM by Rizla » Logged

Do fox's eat grapes?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: