• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: other devices?  (Read 3742 times)
zachofalltrades

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:05:29 AM »

I'm pretty excited to jump into the plugcomputer world, but I notice that there is pretty limited availability of these devices ready to ship from the vendors. I would like to know if any users or developers here have had any good experience using other low-power devices for always on home network services.?

such as:
Asus Rt-N16 GB/N/USB router with 128 MB RAM flashed with Tomato and running optware
WD WorldBook running optware
Synology products
etc.

For computing power, it looks like most plugs have these other devices beat in terms of CPU & RAM, but for streaming files a built in SATA drive should outstrip an external USB drive. If anyone has a strong recommendation for another device type that is widely available (and cheap), I'd sure like to hear it (and what firmware/OS/packages you used). My needs are: stream media to mixed devices on LAN, print server, remote access file server, backups.

-Zach

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:43:10 AM »

The Seagate FreeAgent DockStar is basically a cut-down Sheeva and is currently shipping for less than $100. It's been discontinued though so grab one fast if you want one.

Also the TonidoPlug and PogoPlug are readily available Sheeva-like devices for about the same price.

HP makes a t5325 "thin client" which is based on the same Kirkwood ARM core as the Sheeva; though it's not exactly plug form factor, it's a close relative and adds display and audio hardware for about twice the price.

zachofalltrades

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:54:29 AM »

My impression (without actually using them) of the TonidoPlug and PogoPlug is that they are basically locked into the ongoing services offered by those vendors. Probably great for a lot of consumers and I wish them good fortune in the market. While I certainly appreciate something that will work right out of the box, I want the flexibility to customize without purchasing someone else's packaged service or going through a vendor website to access a device on my own network.

The HP thin client looks pretty interesting, but if I were going for a user interface, I would probably be thinking more along the lines of the Acer Aspire or the Asus eeePC.

I did find another plug-type device that fills my immediate needs right out of the box, but does not have much horsepower -- and there is no indication that it can be customized (but it does provide a straightforward method for loading new firmware). The company has a number of other interesting devices as well:
http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/NAS2XU2.asp

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »

I believe you can eschew the packaged Tonido and Pogo OS in favor of your own, just like Sheeva. That Addonics NAS device looks interesting, you might be a pioneer in getting your own Linux distro on there. Cheap too.

greenguy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 04:10:30 PM »

I want to clarify some points here. TonidoPlug has default Ubuntu server os (9.04) as its firmware
So one has the freedom to install whatever apps from the ubuntu repository. You dont need to use the Tonido applications if you dont want to. & another important fact to note is that Tonido applications are self contained. You dont need to go through the Tonido servers if you can do portforwarding.

It always pains me when people compare pogoplug and Tonidoplug on same footing. We honestly beleive TonidoPlug is an ideal device for both hackers and casual users. We dont restrict the device in anyway as pogo does. The only difference between sheeva and tonidoplug is that TonidoPlug doesnt have jtag.
Finally, users need to decide what is good for them  Smiley

Note: I am associated with Tonidoplug

My impression (without actually using them) of the TonidoPlug and PogoPlug is that they are basically locked into the ongoing services offered by those vendors. Probably great for a lot of consumers and I wish them good fortune in the market. While I certainly appreciate something that will work right out of the box, I want the flexibility to customize without purchasing someone else's packaged service or going through a vendor website to access a device on my own network.

The HP thin client looks pretty interesting, but if I were going for a user interface, I would probably be thinking more along the lines of the Acer Aspire or the Asus eeePC.

I did find another plug-type device that fills my immediate needs right out of the box, but does not have much horsepower -- and there is no indication that it can be customized (but it does provide a straightforward method for loading new firmware). The company has a number of other interesting devices as well:
http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/NAS2XU2.asp

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 04:39:34 PM »

The only difference between sheeva and tonidoplug is that TonidoPlug doesnt have jtag.
Well, that and you don't have to deal with GlobalScam and months-long ship dates to get a Tonido. :-P

zachofalltrades

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:07:27 AM »

It always pains me when people compare pogoplug and Tonidoplug on same footing. We honestly beleive TonidoPlug is an ideal device for both hackers and casual users. We dont restrict the device in anyway as pogo does.

Duly noted. I did finally realize that, but only after a fair bit more reading. TonidoPlug IS on my shortlist of candidates for purchase.  Given the limited availability of other open devices, it may very well be the one I go for.  If you have seen multiple comparisons of TonidoPlug and PogoPlug, then perhaps you could do something on your website to make it clear that your device is more open to tinkering.

The only difference between sheeva and tonidoplug is that TonidoPlug doesnt have jtag.

Nor does it have an SDHC card reader slot.

If it had an SDHC card reader (that it could boot from) or eSata, I would place an order today.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:31:26 AM by zachofalltrades » Logged

big_ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 01:37:55 PM »

It always pains me when people compare pogoplug and Tonidoplug on same footing. We honestly beleive TonidoPlug is an ideal device for both hackers and casual users. We dont restrict the device in anyway as pogo does. The only difference between sheeva and tonidoplug is that TonidoPlug doesnt have jtag.

Except for the fact that "hacking" on the TonidoPlug voids the warranty.....

Reference: http://www.tonido.com/help/ under any of the Advanced Topics (which is under Hardware)

Not that I have anything against the TonidoPlug, just not sure I would see it as "hacker" friendly as it was being made out to be.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: