• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Missing usbserial kernel module and modules.conf  (Read 2134 times)
lollisoft

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:38:17 AM »

Hi,

I got the usb-modeswitch working and I can switch my USB Storage into the Modem mode. But then I tried modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12345 device=0x67890 with no luck. Here is my output:

root@debian:~# modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1c9e product=0x9603
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.18/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Then I have had a look into the /lib/modules directory and see nothing. What packages must I install to A) get lsusb and B) get usbserial to work?

Thanks

Lothar

big_ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 03:27:42 PM »

Perhaps you'd find the following website useful:
http://wiki.debian.org/usbserial

Edit: or perhaps http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt would be more useful
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:01:25 PM by big_ignoramus » Logged

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 03:57:39 PM »

2.6.22.18 is not a Debian kernel.

How did you install this Debian?  Is there anything in /lib/modules at all?

lollisoft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »

tbm: There is nothing in /lib/modules at all.

I have not installed any other Linux yet. It is the stock version coming with vendor.

Where do I get the debian version for this box?

Can I install the missing kernel modules and required stuff with apt-get or aptitude?

What are the steps to get a debian onto a separate SD card?
(I don't like to kill the running version)

I also got the live CD for sheeva development that is needed to compile the usbserial.ko, but it seems that it didn't contain libc headers. So would it possible to compile the kernel without the libc? (http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=434.0)

My helloworld, including stdio.h won't compile. Then I installed the unixODBC development libraries and within it seems to install the x86 toolchain.
So it either wasn't a cross compiler suite or I got it managed to replace it :-)

What is the best way to get usbserial running, but also get started with cross compiling?
I want to port my project to arm :-)

I have the vendors product CD and it contains the toolchain. Is it the only source?

Lothar

SolarDaveGreen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 11:17:07 AM »

tbm: There is nothing in /lib/modules at all.

I have not installed any other Linux yet. It is the stock version coming with vendor.

Where do I get the debian version for this box?

Can I install the missing kernel modules and required stuff with apt-get or aptitude?

My plug is configured the same way.

root@debian:~# uname -r

/lib/modules is empty from the factory.

I'm familiar with Linux and I could recompile the entire kernel just to get the usbserial module, but I'm hoping there is a more straightforward way. Why would the modules directory be completely empty on a brand new plug?

Thanks for any suggestions.

David

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: