• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2.6.30-rc4 new release  (Read 6263 times)
cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »

Release candidate 4 is now available.  I've added support for netfilter/iptables.  With any luck the NULL pointer dereference that affected rc3 is fixed.

Kernel and modules are available from the following locations:

IPV4: http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/

IPV6: http://sheeva6.with-linux.com/sheeva/

Features IPV6, CIFS, NFS4, EXT3, EXT4, JFS, XFS, FUSE(for ntfs-3g), usb-serial, uvcvideo.

Blazer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »

Thank you for providing this. I'm sure it will help many people!

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 06:59:13 PM »

Couple of things; I'm not sure I've seen this before on boot:

EXT2-fs warning (device mmcblk0p1): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2

Also, on shutdown, it was complaining (not sure about the exact message) something about a device mapper.

But, it's up and running! *cheers*

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:29:20 PM »

ext3 is built as a module, the only thing this precludes is mounting root as ext3.  If you add ext3 to /etc/modules it should mount an ext3 partition just fine.  The device mapper is for multiple-disk setups such as raid (which isn't too important on a sheeva).  I may build it in just to get rid of that warning (I hadn't noticed it on the earlier rc's).

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:46:38 PM »

Gotcha. Thanks for the help, I'm rusty on this stuff! Perhaps I should try to get Slackware up on the plug, just to polish my chops. Smiley

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 08:52:59 PM »

Looks like ext3 would have to be built in to the kernel for it to mount as ext3. I'm guessing that modules aren't processed yet at that point -- makes sense, 'cause how can a module be loaded before the filesystem on which it's located is mounted?

JohnHughes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 03:07:35 AM »

The device mapper is for multiple-disk setups such as raid (which isn't too important on a sheeva).  I may build it in just to get rid of that warning (I hadn't noticed it on the earlier rc's).
Uh, the first application I'm using my plug for is NAS - and of course I'm using raid, I like my data.

JohnHughes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 03:09:25 AM »

Looks like ext3 would have to be built in to the kernel for it to mount as ext3. I'm guessing that modules aren't processed yet at that point -- makes sense, 'cause how can a module be loaded before the filesystem on which it's located is mounted?
To use a root  filesystem type that's not build into the kernel you can use a initramfs/initrd.  Probably not much point on something like the plug though.

dg

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 03:47:55 AM »

I'm another ext3 user, I'm afraid... (although I'd really prefer to use JFS. I'm currently using ext3 because that's all the stock Marvell kernel provides.) So I'm going to have to try rebuilding this.

I'm also a big fan of Debian-esque initrds; the allow lightweight generic kernels that support complex boot procedures like NFS boot, RAID boot, exotic filesystems, boot processes with user process interventian, etc without rebuilding the kernel. I'll have to do some investigating once I get this working.

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 07:51:01 AM »

I'm another ext3 user, I'm afraid... (although I'd really prefer to use JFS.

OK.  I've reconfigured the kernel to statically link EXT3, EXT4 and JFS (I'm a big fan of JFS myself, I've never had a problem with it).  So now you can mount a root with any of those filesystems.  I've also added device mapper modules for RAID fans.

To upgrade the plug if you've already installed one of the .30 kernels: delete sheeva-2.6.30-rc4* files and rerun README-2.6.30-rc4.

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 08:25:37 AM »

Works perfectly. Thank you!!!

dg

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 02:32:05 PM »

I haven't tried your update yet, but I did rebuild my kernel with ext3 and lots of modules --- BTW, *thank you* for posting the .config file, so many people forget to do this! --- and it worked!

...for about ten minutes. Then it died with the dreaded mmcblk0 -110 I/O error.

I did apply the two patches you distribute on your website --- is this bug supposed to be fixed by now (in which case I've probably just cocked things up), or have Marvell's changes not made their way into the patchset using in rc4 yet?

BTW: I'm using the Debian userland, and the two packages you need for a complete reflashing kit are uboot-mkimage and mtd-utils. No need to build your own mkimage. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't also in Ubuntu.

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 06:44:08 PM »

The mvsdio.patch is still required.

I've been running my rc4 build since it was released and I've had zero problems with an 8Gig SD.  Working for 10 minutes and then dying sounds a little suspicious.  It makes me wonder of your SD card might be bad.  You could also install my rc4 kernel and see if that makes a difference.

dg

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 03:28:07 AM »

I don't think the SD card is bad; it's been rock solid on other platforms, and it was my root filesystem when I rebuilt the kernel on it on the SheevaPlug. But I'll give your kernel a try; it's entirely possible I misapplied the patch (I applied it *after* the 2.6.30-rc4 patch. It worked, with offsets, but patch isn't always reliable in these matters). It's an 8GB Kingston Class 6.

I see mention of a 'debug_quirks=1' option to be passed to the sdhci module. This isn't needed, is it?

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »

I had the same issue with my 8 gig card. Seemed to work for one boot or two, then corrupted. Works flawlessly elsewhere.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: