• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 2.6.34.1 new release  (Read 11894 times)
cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »

2.6.34.1 is now available.  2.6.33.6 and 2.6.32.16 are also available.

Kernel and modules are available from the following location:

http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/

Features e-sata, dmcrypt, IPV6, CIFS, NFS4, EXT3, EXT4, JFS, XFS, FUSE(for ntfs-3g), UBIFS, usb-serial, uvcvideo, iptables, appletalk, bluetooth, v4l and ppp.

tripzero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »

Do you take requests?  rt73 would be nice to have in there as well Wink.

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 09:46:53 PM »

Do you take requests?  rt73 would be nice to have in there as well Wink.

I just added support to 2.6.34.1 for ralink rt73 and related usb adapters.  Have fun.

jrod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »

Is there a script that you use, or some other documentation for how you compile and package these bits separately?  I use a USB wifi adapter which uses the zd1211rw driver; rather than asking you to modify your kernel, it'd be nice to be able to easily reproduce the kernel sources necessary to build modules separately.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong, I tried simply reproducing the sources and headers and it complained of needing modules.symvers (or something like that) when I tried to simply make the module.

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:08:09 AM »

Is there a script that you use, or some other documentation for how you compile and package these bits separately?  I use a USB wifi adapter which uses the zd1211rw driver; rather than asking you to modify your kernel, it'd be nice to be able to easily reproduce the kernel sources necessary to build modules separately.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong, I tried simply reproducing the sources and headers and it complained of needing modules.symvers (or something like that) when I tried to simply make the module.

I just added zd1211rw driver to 2.6.34.1.  This allows others to benefit also.

When you build drivers for the kernel the safest way is to rebuild the whole kernel including drivers.  Sometimes a driver requires certain features to be turned on in the kernel which would otherwise lead to unresolved symbols.  Everything necessary to rebuild one of my kernels is in the 2.6.34.1/source directory (if you couple that with the proper .config file).

DePingus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »

Hey thanks for all the great work.

Since you are taking requests for the kernel, I have one.

I spent some time trying to get blockcontrol (specifically moblock) running on my Dockstar recently.
You can read all about it here. http://plugapps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120

Long story short, I finally succeeded.  I had to recompile the kernel (2.6.34.1) with the following change:
Code:
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE is not set
changed to
Code:
CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE=m

I'm no expert (this is my first kernel), but this seemed to fix my problem without breaking anything else. I also checked my main desktop that runs ArchLinux with a default kernel (and runs moblock) and it had that set in its kernel config file. So you may want to add. If not, no worries, now that I know how to compile my own kernel, adding it myself would be no big deal.

Also, blockcontrol's status output complains with this message:
Code:
Unknown HZ value! (86) Assume 100.
I've seen it one other place too (can't remember).
Everything still works fine, but surfing around trying to fix the previous problem I discovered that adding
Code:
CONFIG_HZ=100
should solve this minor annoyance. Again, I don't know what this setting really means or what it can break. I just know what it may fix.

Unfortunately, I completely forgot to add this one to my custom kernel when I compiled it. So this one I haven't tested. Not having it doesn't seem to affect anything, so I'll wait until the next time I have to compile a kernel to test this one.

No rush on any of this. I'm set for now, but I thought others might benefit.
Thanks again!

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »

Code:
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE is not set
changed to
Code:
CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE=m

I'm no expert (this is my first kernel), but this seemed to fix my problem without breaking anything else. I also checked my main desktop that runs ArchLinux with a default kernel (and runs moblock) and it had that set in its kernel config file. So you may want to add. If not, no worries, now that I know how to compile my own kernel, adding it myself would be no big deal.

CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE=m has been added.  Thanks.

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »

When starting up a Wifi driver I get this:
cfg80211: Using static regulatory domain info
cfg80211: Regulatory domain: US
Can this be made dynamic, so that non-US users can use non-US settings?
Needs CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY=n in the config, although I can't say what then happens if you don't set a ieee80211_regdom module parameter (to US, JP or EU ??).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:41:33 PM by birdman » Logged

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:09 PM »

When starting up a Wifi driver I get this:
cfg80211: Using static regulatory domain info
cfg80211: Regulatory domain: US
Can this be made dynamic, so that non-US users can use non-US settings?
Needs CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY=n in the config, although I can't say what then happens if you don't set a ieee80211_regdom module parameter (to US, JP or EU ??).

CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY is not valid for current kernels.

from the following link it appears you can do it either with the "iw" utility or wpa_supplicant:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw#Updating_your_regulatory_domain

The "iw" utility should be in the "iw" package.

This should work to set for US:
sudo iw reg set US

You can also use the latest wpa_supplicant (as of 0.6.7) now to change your regulatory domain, to do so just add a "COUNTRY=US" entry into your configuration.

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »

CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY is not valid for current kernels.
Ah - I see it left at 2.6.34.  I'm not up to that yet...

from the following link it appears you can do it either with the "iw" utility or wpa_supplicant:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw#Updating_your_regulatory_domain

The "iw" utility should be in the "iw" package.

This should work to set for US:
sudo iw reg set US

You can also use the latest wpa_supplicant (as of 0.6.7) now to change your regulatory domain, to do so just add a "COUNTRY=US" entry into your configuration.
Except I want to set EU (or similar).  I'll investigate the "iw reg set" or wpa-supplicant ways.  And try 2.6.34.1.  thanks.

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 03:26:09 AM »

2.6.34.1 is now available. 

Hi cbxbiker61,
do you got an idea whats different to an kernel below 2.6.34(.1), because some guys at
http://www.sheevaplug.de/forum/10-hardware/2154-usb-soundcard-mit-kernel-2634-verzerrte-wiedergabe.html
got some mystic problem with her usb-soundcard. The sound is dissorted/blured.

We hope you got an idea :-)

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 11:14:16 AM »

Hi cbxbiker61,
do you got an idea whats different to an kernel below 2.6.34(.1), because some guys at
http://www.sheevaplug.de/forum/10-hardware/2154-usb-soundcard-mit-kernel-2634-verzerrte-wiedergabe.html
got some mystic problem with her usb-soundcard. The sound is dissorted/blured.

We hope you got an idea :-)

It appears from looking at the kernel log for 2.6.34 that there were quite a few changes in the USB infrastructure.  I didn't see anything particular to USB sound.  Although it would be a bit of a pain this might be a case where "git bisect" could pin down the offending commit.  This would require someone with a problematic USB sound device to be able to build/test kernels with git.

Here's a link to a discussion on using git bisect on the Linux kernel:
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2010/4/14/4558779
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:25:02 AM by cbxbiker61 » Logged

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »

Except I want to set EU (or similar).  I'll investigate the "iw reg set" or wpa-supplicant ways.  And try 2.6.34.1.  thanks.
Now on 2.6.34.1 and it looks like it would all be OK.  Except I got the Wifi dongle form a US web site and, although it was posted from the UK it looks like its stuck at a US config.
I'm not trying to do anything that the US CRDA wouldn't allow anyway, so it's not a problem.  I was just trying to be "correct".
I do have a UK one I can test (but I prefer the one with a replaceable aerial).

nzimas

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »

Kernel successfully installed on the NAND, up and running.

However, it won't reckon my external HDD connected through esata.

fdisk -l shows no matches.

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 06:30:49 PM »

Kernel successfully installed on the NAND, up and running.

However, it won't reckon my external HDD connected through esata.

fdisk -l shows no matches.

Did you load the "sata_mv" module?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: