• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 2.6.34.1 new release  (Read 10386 times)
BP

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »

Hi cbxbiker61,

I get the following error at the end of "apt-get install autosf" ...
Code:
Starting automounter: loading autofs4 kernel module,FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.30.2/modules.dep: No such file or directory
 no automount maps defined.

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
root@ubuntu:/#

Installing autosf was taking place immediately after the following "restart from scratch" steps:

1- install ubuntu 9.04 with ESIA, boot from sd card, used "uImage" and "modules" files from 2.6.34.1, evrything went fine.
2- disconnect plug power cable
3- disconnect serial cable
4- remove usb DOK
5- connect ethernet to router
6- reconnect plug power cable
7- wait 1-2 minutes
8- open SSH connection
9- login with root/nosoup4u
10- apt-get update
11- apt-get install nano
12- apt-get install samba
13- modifying smb.conf as per wiki instructions to add a shares
14- reload samba
15- change the name in the /etc/hostname
16- apt-get install autofs

...and then get the error message previously mentioned.

Later I found (in fact rooster did...) "autofs.ko" and "autofs4.ko" in your modules tarball on "http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/",  respectively in "sheeva-2.6.34.1-Modules.tar.gz\sheeva-2.6.34.1-Modules.tar\.\lib\modules\2.6.34.1\kernel\fs\autofs\"  and "....\autofs4\"

Now my question is :  Since those modules are part of the same kernel package I used, are they not supposed to be installed?  Why can't apt-get find it?   Should I copy paste the .ko files manually somewhere? 

Please dont tell me I have to "compile" something, I would rather go hang myself ;-)

If its not plain copy-paste for me to do, would you consider adding the modules in a not too far future?

Thanks a lot,

cbxbiker61
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 07:03:55 PM »

Hi cbxbiker61,

I get the following error at the end of "apt-get install autosf" ...
Code:
Starting automounter: loading autofs4 kernel module,FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.30.2/modules.dep: No such file or directory
 no automount maps defined.

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
root@ubuntu:/#

Looks to me as if the you're actually running a 2.6.30.2 kernel.  Do a "uname -a" to check.

In any case you should be able to use README-2.6.34.1 to get the newer kernel installed.

BP

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 10:53:08 AM »

Embarrassed  good point!!  Thanks sir! 

I will try that uname -a tonigth...   

but how could this be possible?  I did a complete reinstalled of ubuntu using ESIA with "uImage" and "modules" files from 2.6.34.1 ?? 

will double check everything tonight and let you know...

best regards,

BP

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 06:51:47 PM »

Hey cbxbiker61,  you were rigth sir !   

uname -a returned 2.6.30.2.   

I confirmed with MD5 signatures I used the 2.6.34.1 uImage and modules file when re-installing with ESIA... 
I left rooster a message (post) with some details, will see what comes out of it...  I read the wiki,  2 or 3 posts and the file itself to get an overview of the ./readme procedure.  Step by step seems to be changing depending of each plug exact situation...  will wait a bit before taking that route, giving the ESIA couple more attempts.

Many thanks to you,

BP

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »

cbxbiker61,  just to let you know,  problem was the esia reinstall.  Not sure why exactly, but it seems my previous attempts were not upgrading the kernel...  I gave it another try with one more option selected (which made the process freeze during previous attempts) and it worked !! ;-)  Now I have 2.6.31.4 install for real and autofs install went through without a glitch.

regards,

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 11:33:53 PM »

It appears from looking at the kernel log for 2.6.34 that there were quite a few changes in the USB infrastructure.  I didn't see anything particular to USB sound.  Although it would be a bit of a pain this might be a case where "git bisect" could pin down the offending commit.  This would require someone with a problematic USB sound device to be able to build/test kernels with git.
The user mmi - in th german sheevaplug-forum -  got some success with usb-audio by using the pulse-audio-daemon to get clear sound with the new kernel:
http://www.sheevaplug.de/forum/10-hardware/2154-usb-soundcard-mit-kernel-2634-verzerrte-wiedergabe-solved.html#2466

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to: