• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can I increase Plug longevity?  (Read 1705 times)
feffer

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »

I have been avidly reading about Plug heat issues and what some users have done about them. I've been using a Sheeva Plug for about 6 weeks as an upgrade to my old NSLU2 (Linksys "slug"). Although the slug was slow, it had excellent longevity. I fear this is the one weakness of my new Sheeva. It is integral to my home network and does vital backup, and other duties so I need it to be durable!

I want to do some mods, and would like feedback on whether they should be workable, effective, and  doable for a home hobbyist with no electrical background. I'm in the US and have 120v power. Following are my proposed mods aimed at heat reduction/dissapation to increase the life of my Sheeva:

1. Attach an external power supply 5v 3a (already ordered from ebay)

2. Drill several holes in the Sheeva case.

3. Possibly add a simple fan to the unit.

I haven't cracked the case yet, but from other threads it sounds like the external power supply can be attached to the red and black wires going to the existing psu. Is that right? Should I use solder, twist and tape, wire nuts or what? Should I leave the existing psu in place, or try to remove it? If someone reading this has already done an external power supply mod, I'd be especially interested in your howto...probably others would too. 

Is a small fan worthwhile or shouldn't I bother? If so, how would I power it? And any recommendations for a proper fan for the Sheeva? I saw a link in one thread but lost track of it.

As for drilling holes, are they pointless, if I have an external power supply? If they are still useful, what's better, a bunch of smaller ones, or fewer big ones? For appearance I'd prefer a grid of smaller (prox 1/32") ones. Useful or a waste of time?

Thx,
feffer

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »

current plugs have "improved" psu. Whatever this means. You can wait if they also fry.

If you want to take precautions, you can open the case (screws under the rubber feet), take out the psu (its a box, easy to take out, cut the wires). drill a whole in the case, put through the wire of the external PSU and solder it to the cut of cables.

feffer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »

Not sure what version of Sheeva it is, but I got it and a GuruPlug Plus in the same shipment about 5-6 weeks ago. It's been on pretty much continuously, and gets pretty warm, not hot though. I'm inclined to take precautions, and as I mentioned I have a 5v 3a external psu on order.

Will a small fan be unnecessary? If I use one, can I solder it in parallel to the new psu? I'm not savvy about such things, but I follow directions well...

thx
feffer

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 02:16:56 AM »

it should be the newer version.

The sheevaplug produces less heat then the guruplug. As the heatspreader is on the topside of the case, you could drill some wholes into the case to aid heat dissipation. A Fan should not be necessary.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 10:16:52 PM »

I found that mine runs noticeably cooler if I run it on it's side (feet facing me, SD card sticking up). It's almost completely solved my USB hard drive crashing issues. Still think I might add a fan. I'm not complaining for something that was sold as a "dev kit".. I'm supposed to be a developer using this "reference" design to produce my own unit, I believe.. Between that, and the fact that this thing was only $99, I can live with minor issues like this.
The GuruPlug Plus's issues.. Now that's something I wouldn't live with. As much as I lust for an eSATA port, I can wait for that device to get fixed.

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: