• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: backuppc on SheevaPlug, Possible File::RsyncP Issue?  (Read 1668 times)
nhoeller

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:10:08 AM »

Is anyone running backuppc on the SheevaPlug?  I moved backuppc from a Linux/Intel system to a SheevaPlug with an external drive in February to backup both local and remote servers.  Files are being backed up properly, but data volumes are significantly higher than I saw on the previous system. 

backkupc uses a Perl version of rsync so that only modified blocks are copied.  Although the rsync command itself works fine on the SheevaPlug, the File::RsyncP code used by backuppc appears to incorrectly identify a significant percentage of blocks as different even if the source/target files are identical.

I would appreciate confirmation that others using backuppc are seeing the same problem.  I can provide instructions for reproducing it.
     thanks, Norbert

daneel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 04:03:36 AM »

Norbert
I had hoped that you would have received replies, but maybe you have made progress anyway.
I am new to all this but would like to run backuppc on my SheevaPlug and 'pull' files from XP computers on my home network onto an eSATA drive on the Plug.
Can I do this without installing anything on each XP computer?
Would there be a problem with Windows 'files in use' (eg. Thunderbird emails)?
If I need to use VSS on XP could the whole process still be set up as a 'pull' from the Plug so the XP users don't have to do anything?
Can you give me any help in setting this up? I find the backuppc documentation a bit daunting!
How satisfied are you with what you have achieved, even if it is rather slow?

Sorry for so many questions!
Regards, Dan

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: