• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I think I need a SAMBA SERVER inside GuruPlug or running off Flash Drive?  (Read 1522 times)
Doug

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »

I want to purchase a Guru Plug server Plus for use in my home. I have a few questions that I need help to answer. I have a Linksys WVC80N wireless network IP camera that I want to record its video to a remote usb 2.5" drive plugged into your GuruPlug Plus server.
    1.  The camera will send video to a Samba Server and asks for the path to the Samba Server. Because this device is wireless, will it accept the video DIRECTLY from the camera and put it on my hard drive attatched to your product, without having to employ a router in the middle of the path. 2. Is it an absolute YES that I must plug a wireless router into your product via LAN which must act as the intermediary for transferring the wireless video to your product.
     3. I see nothing about GuruPlug incorporating a Samba Server to process my video for storage on the hard drive. Can your product be programmed to do this??

My wife and I are asking your assistance as I found no information searching Google. We are old and retired living on a small budget. Our house was robbed and the security video being recorded on my computer was stolen with the computer. I just bought this new camera that sends video to a Samba server. I want to put a GuruPlug at my neighbors house 50' away from my wireless camera and record my camera video so it is offsite and protected for the next major catastrophy.

If I could find a place to Purchase __PlugComputer 3.0__ I would rather go that route as it has a build in hard drive. I am home computer literate and did reprogram my Linksys router with DD-WRT to use as a wireless repeater if need be. If I have to reprogram this unit I will ty to do it also, however I know nothing on the Linux subject.  My wife and I are asking for your assistance. If I could afford to hire an engineer this would be up and working, and am willing to pay one of you, if you are local a modest fee to reprogram this after I purchase it. Or should I buy a different product, as you are the experts.
      Thank-You for taking the time to read my request.       Doug,     60 miles north of Seattle, WA.

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »

Plug computers such as the GuruPlug run Linux. Linux runs Samba. I don't know if Samba is included in the base install of Linux that the GuruPlug ships with, but if not, you can add it with something like "apt-get install samba". So, yes.

In answer to your other question, if the GuruPlug is operating in wireless AP mode, or, both the camera and the GuruPlug are configured in Ad-Hoc networking mode, then you do not need a router.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: