• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NFS server and mapping of user ids  (Read 3792 times)
mgiann

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »

Hello,

I have my sheevaplug setup with ubuntu 9.04. I have nfs-kernel-server installed and running.

Now, I want to set setup the nfs server in a way that it maps user ids from my laptop to the shevaplug. I found that this can be done with the map_static option in the /etc/exports file. However this option seems to be available only in the nfs-user-server. I cannot find this package.

Has anybody here done such a setup?

Is it sufficient if I compile and install this package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/intrepid/nfs-user-server? Is it safe to do so and how do i revert this if things go wrong?

Thank you

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 03:04:14 PM »

if your laptop understands it, you can use nfsv4. It does userid-mapping by name and is a lot less hassle. Just create a user with the same _name_ on the plug (id does not matter). nfsv4 will do the mapping.

Or keep your user-ids manually in sync. If it is only you and your laptop that should not be too hard.

mgiann

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:02:53 AM »

Thats a great feature for nfsv4, I didn't know of.

It does work with a linux nfs client (opensuse 11.2). However I couldn't make it work on Mac OS X 10.6.4. Has anyone succeeded in configuring this in Max OS X?

Any other alternatives that can work on the mac?

Zortrium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 10:32:43 PM »

I'm currently running an NFS server on my SheevaPlug to several Mac OS X clients.  I've set it up so that everything maps to a single user on the plug (so basically world-writable by everybody, which is okay since it's just my LAN) -- if you think this setup would work for you I can give you the details on getting Mac OS X to cooperate.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:36:34 AM »

that's squashing all ids. You can also try ugidd, but this needs to be run on the client, i wouldn't go this way. Either sync the ids or go for nfsv4

mgiann

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:18:17 AM »

On the mac, nfsv4 support is described to be in alpha. I tried it against the nfsv4  server on the sheevaplug and didn't work.

Does anyone else have a different experience? 

Max

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 06:21:59 AM »

I'm currently running an NFS server on my SheevaPlug to several Mac OS X clients.  I've set it up so that everything maps to a single user on the plug (so basically world-writable by everybody, which is okay since it's just my LAN) -- if you think this setup would work for you I can give you the details on getting Mac OS X to cooperate.

This is what I'm trying to do; more specifically to do Time Machine ( or rsync ) backups from a couple of MacBooks to a NAS attached to my plug which is running Debian Squeeze.

Any details gratefully received.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: