• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Problems reinstaling CUPS  (Read 985 times)
ppcarballo

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »

Hi,

I was playing with Cups my Guruplug  trying to share a HP printer in my home network, but suddenly it stop to work. I couldn't
access to it with the browser http://xxxxxx:631, then I decided to remove it ( apt-get remove cups hplip) and I delete /etc/cups, after
that I tried to install it again (apt-get install cups hplip and dpkg-reconfigure cups ) and happen some thing strange, this process doesn't create the file
/etc/cups.conf and /etc/cupsd.conf then when cups can't restart.... Any body have and idea?

PD: The first time the installing process created the *.conf files.

Thanks.

feffer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:49:14 PM »

My guess is that because "apt-get remove cups hplip" leaves behind the config files whereas doing "apt-get purge cups hplip" would have removed the config files as well. Later you manually deleted the config files along with /etc/cups The problem is that apt thinks the config files are still there. Consequently, when you reinstalled cups, it did not add the config files because doing so would overwrite the ones apt expected were still there.

Perhaps try "apt-get purge cups" and then install again. This might get a clean install including the config files. If that does not work, then you might have to pick up the missing cups.conf and cupsd.conf files elsewhere (maybe your backup or another linux system).

As you now realize, it is better to use apt tools to maintain system files, and not manually delete them.

Regards,
feffer

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: