• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ionics Nimbus 100 - Ubuntu?  (Read 2098 times)
anymouse

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »

I just received an Ionics Nimbus 100 (same specs as a Sheevaplug, but with a weird JTAG thing instead of builtin SD card reader).   The box, the website, everything states it comes preloaded with Ubuntu 9.04.  However /etc/issue reports that it is running Debian Lenny.  The installed applications seem to support this.

The issue I have is that I need Python 2.6 for the application I want to use, which Ubuntu 9.04 includes.   I use Ubuntu for servers and am quite familiar with it, so it would be my preferred OS to use anyways.  I can find lots of instructions for setting up Ubuntu on a Sheevaplug - but they all seem to require using an SD card as your data partition.   The base install of a Sheevaplug, from what I understand, can run Ubuntu 9.04 without requiring an SD card.

Does anyone here know a good way to fix this?  I'm happy to invest a great deal of time and money into this - just need a pointer for where to start looking.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:23:50 PM by anymouse » Logged

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:51:35 AM »

i would stick with debian. Ubuntu 9.04 is the last version of ubuntu supporting the armv5. So no upgrades and support/security updates will run out in October 2010.

You can look for a python2.6 backport for debian lenny, or upgrade to squeeze/testing which has a python2.6 package.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: