• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dead Sheeva?  (Read 2502 times)
markc

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »

I have a SheevaPlug from last year which I hadn't turned on for a few months and now when I try to use it the RHS blue light on top flashes every second in unison with both Ethernet connector lights, when powered on, but I can't seem to get any kind of serial connection working via the mini-USB connector. I have been using a USB root file system and never updated the actual firmware itself. What is weird is that I can't get any of 3 computers to get a working /dev/ttyUSB0 device to even test the serial connection... but I'm not sure if these 3 machines, with 2.6.34 kernels, have a serial USB problem or that the Plug is not providing any circuit for the connecting computer to bring up the serial USB devices.

Is it possible my Plug is dead or should I persist with older kernels to see if it's simply a matter of not getting a /dev/ttyUSB0 to be able to see what state u-boot is in?

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 12:20:15 PM »

symptoms of a fried powersupply.

markc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:59:55 PM »

Thanks, t'is indeed most likely dead then. Would you or anyone know if there is anything I can do to resurrect the device, like pull it apart and provide the power from an external power supply? If so, what kind of radio shack-like power supply could I get?

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:11:57 PM »

same answer as hundred times before...

get an external 5V/3A powersupply (or 2A if you can't find it. Or a powered USB Hub with at least four ports and steal the PSU). Take the plug apart (screws below the rubber feets). Take care that the internal PSU has high voltage capacitors that can be nasty hours after unplugging. Remove internal PSU, drill a hole into the case, run the wire of your new external PSU inside, solder. done.

markc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:02:50 AM »

@musicworld1: what do you mean by "remove this function" ?

I'm still trying to locate where to buy a couple of standalone 5v external power supplies (I have a Beagleboard as well). I do have a 4 port USB hub with a power supply but if I cut the connector off the end I'm not sure which wire is positive or negative so I'm trying to locate external power supplies with a matching socket connector and wire up the socket to the internal pins so I have a better idea which is positive/negative and saves on destroying the power supply for any other usage.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 04:35:20 AM »

use a voltmeter.

markc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 06:26:16 AM »

I would if I had one. I don't have a soldering iron either and just finding a small enough screwdriver to undo the case took a lot of effort. Obviously some of us are not into hardware. I'd much prefer to have something that does not break down so I can get on with developing software.

One question to those who, unlike me, have a clue about such things. The internal power connector has 4 pins with 2 red leads and 2 black ones, is it safe to assume that positive (red) and black (negative) power needs to be applied across BOTH the two PAIRS of pins?

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 07:01:53 AM »

is it safe to assume that positive (red) and black (negative) power needs to be applied across BOTH the two PAIRS of pins?

Yes, it is :-)) take a look at the last 2 pictures of the following message:
http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1318.msg8764#msg8764

pistacik

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 09:06:53 AM »

It seems mine died today. Green led is on, both green and yellow LEDs on NIC are also on. No way to connect. Just 3V on usb.

markc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »

Mine is totally dead too, no lights, nothing. Not happy as it cost me $240 AUD with freight so I am not going to buy another one or recommend any kind of Global Tech plug device to anyone else, especially clients.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: