• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Network: writes fast / reads slow?  (Read 4642 times)
plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »

...same speeds (actually a little slower) with the .30 kernel.

Hmmm.

bogolisk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »

So, I just noticed: copying to the plug from a Windows box, I'm getting about 25-30 megabytes a second. Copying from the plug to the Windows box, I'm getting 2-3 megabytes a second.

Any thoughts?

I've tried two Windows boxes, one Vista and the other Windows 7. I've tried both Samba and SCP. I'm on a gig lan.

OK, I'm going to go Google.

my speed is primarily limited by USB. ftp a 1.5G from Linux-PC to the plug's /dev/null gives me 40MBytes/s. ftp from the plug's tmpfs to Linux-PC gives me 53MBytes/s.

pushbx

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 04:53:59 PM »

the disparity between reads and writes seems to only affect samba.  I clocked network file transfer performance for nfs and the read/write performance is about the same.  I have the numbers here:

http://computingplugs.com/index.php/SheevaPlug_Performance#Network_Performance

dreamdreams

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 06:43:20 AM »

Did you run your test with or without Jumbo Frame enabled?

Thanks

Can you run iperf between the machines?  I ran iperf last night on a kernel that had debugging enabled and it was running in the range of 200Mbits/sec.  After installing a kernel with debugging disabled (2.6.30-rc4) it's running at 644Mbits/sec.  An Athlon machine runs at 926 Mbits/sec.

644 is acceptable but 200 just didn't seem like it was enough.  I tweeked a lot of ipv4 settings trying to get my speed up and now I realize the settings weren't a problem.  It was just debugging slowing it down.

I did a timed copy of a 50M file to the sheeva and it did about 100MB sec, copying from the sheeva did about 20MB sec.  This of course is to/from a Linux server.  Scp was wayyy slower, the little sheeva just can't keep up with then encryption.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: