• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Power to USB ports  (Read 1142 times)
drmouse

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:46:41 AM »

Hi all.

I am new to plug use, having just got a Guruplug Standard. However, I am not planning to leave it "standard" for much longer.

My basic idea is to use the plug in my car, and interface it to the entertainment electronics. I have figured this out already, including replacing the PSU (a good idea anyway from what I've read Undecided )

What I am currently stuck on is shutdown. When the plug powers down, AFAIK, it just sits there. What I need is for it to turn my power supply off.

There are 2 easy ways I can see. The first, preferable option is to turn off the USB power on shutdown, which in turn is linked to the en/disable line on my PSU. This line can also be interfaced to the cars ignition line, which would allow it to turn back on as soon as the cars ignition is turned back on. However, I am not sure if this is possible.

The other option would be to use the FTDI USB-Serial adapter I am using for interfacing to the cars electronics, and use one of it's outputs to kill the power on shutdown. This does not seem as good an option, as it would likely have to be done sooner in the shutdown sequence, meaning either a longer unnecessary delay in poweroff, or a chance of powering off before the system is shut down.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS is there any way to change the colour scheme on this site? I had real trouble registering because the text boxes blend into the background, and the text in them blends into the background of the box.

EDIT: Scratch that, found it
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:03:27 AM by drmouse » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: