• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: eSATA SheevaPlug supported by Debian now  (Read 3255 times)
tbm

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:25:10 AM »

The eSATA SheevaPlug is supported by the Debian installer and by Debian now.  See http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html for the install guide.

If you're already running Debian on your eSATA SheevaPlug but you installed as a regular SheevaPlug to USB or SD and you'd like to use the eSATA, then make sure you're the latest kernel from Debian squeeze (apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade; flash-kernel), reboot and type this in u-boot:

setenv arcNumber 2678
saveenv
reset

Your machine will then be recognized as an eSATA SheevaPlug

hausschuh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:05:33 AM »

YEAH!

Does the note on your site also apply for the newly added eSATA Images?
the installer is currently broken because of a bug. Please wait a few days before you install Debian. I will remove this note when it's safe to install again. Do not try to install with the image linked below until then. However, you can use the daily installer image instead. -- Martin Michlmayr, 2010-06-03.

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:32:42 AM »

The eSATA Images are the daily images anyway, so yes, they work.

theYinYeti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:28:02 AM »

The eSATA SheevaPlug is supported by the Debian installer and by Debian now.  See http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html for the install guide.

If you're already running Debian on your eSATA SheevaPlug but you installed as a regular SheevaPlug to USB or SD and you'd like to use the eSATA, then make sure you're the latest kernel from Debian squeeze (apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade; flash-kernel)
Hello,

I'm new here, and new to the (e-sata) SheevaPlug. I followed the fore-mentionned Debian installation guide (Lenny), but I never ran "flash-kernel". What is this command for? Is it mandatory, or only for newer kernels? Or only for Squeeze?

Yves.

tbm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 05:27:43 AM »

You have to run flash-kernel to activate newly installed Debian kernels.  The fact that you have to run it manually is a bug that will hopefully be fixed soon.

theYinYeti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 07:12:32 AM »

Thank you. I'll remember, when I update the kernel next time Smiley (so far, no kernel update; I just installed Debian yesterday)

Yves.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: