• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which "Plug" should I buy?  (Read 6644 times)
Darrena

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:40:20 PM »

I have an old Slug that I would like to replace with a Plug of some sort.   In a perfect world I would order the Guruplug Server Plus but the reports of overheating have me concerned.

I then see the issues with power supplies on the SheevaPlug...   

I really want the features of the GuruPlug but reliability is the most important item to me.   Is the Nimbus 100 from Ionics any good?   Are there any other types outside of the Sheeva, Guru, and Ionics devices?   Too be honest price isn't a huge issue, I will gladly pay more for reliability.   Or should I just wait and hang onto my Slug a little longer?

Thank you!

Ira

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »

If you can wait a bit, there will be an updated GuruPlug Server released in July they say. I'm just sending mine back with a promise of the new one as soon as it's available. It's quite different and hopefully all the problems will be gone.

Ira

Darrena

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:20:30 AM »

If you can wait a bit, there will be an updated GuruPlug Server released in July they say. I'm just sending mine back with a promise of the new one as soon as it's available. It's quite different and hopefully all the problems will be gone.

Ira

That seems like the best bet, all the other models are on a 4 week delay anyway.   I have no issue with waiting a bit longer.

Thank you for the response!

thomasb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:24:11 AM »

That seems like the best bet, all the other models are on a 4 week delay anyway.   I have no issue with waiting a bit longer.
I'd wait at least until September or October before buying the "improved" version and see how many problems surface.  I don't have much confidence in Globalscales and their ability to produce a quality product.

Darrena

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:30:37 AM »

I'd wait at least until September or October before buying the "improved" version and see how many problems surface.  I don't have much confidence in Globalscales and their ability to produce a quality product.

Fair enough, are the Ionics devices any better?

sk.akties

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 06:02:22 AM »

[...] I'm just sending mine back with a promise of the new one as soon as it's available. It's quite different and hopefully all the problems will be gone.

Just curiosity: is this swap for the new version due to the problems you have with heat/USB or anything else?

In other words: I hope everyone with a malfunctioning Guruplug will receive a new version...

Ira

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »

[...] I'm just sending mine back with a promise of the new one as soon as it's available. It's quite different and hopefully all the problems will be gone.

Just curiosity: is this swap for the new version due to the problems you have with heat/USB or anything else?

In other words: I hope everyone with a malfunctioning Guruplug will receive a new version...

I complained about non booting plugged into gigabyte and the heat.

Ira

Belton
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 02:27:28 AM »

I think that's just a sweet "dream".  Tongue

Yes, most of situation, they promise to repair/fix the malfunction for customers, meanwhile make those customers wait for a long time.

sk.akties

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 03:17:11 AM »

[...]
I think that's just a sweet "dream".  Tongue
Yes, most of situation, they promise to repair/fix the malfunction for customers, meanwhile make those customers wait for a long time.

I do not mind waiting, in this state my guruplug is useless (heat / Gigabit / reboots) as long as that promise is made and kept!

feffer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 05:03:45 PM »

I'm also a switcher from the Slug. In Feb I pre-ordered the GuruPlug Plus and a SheevaPlug. After initially setting up the SheevaPlug, I began reading about the heat/design problems here. Since the std SheevaPlug was working so well for me, I called Globalscale and asked them to replace my unused GuruPlug with another SheevaPlug which I'll use for a backup and some testing. So I think the question of which Plug to buy depends upon what you want to use it for.

Currently mine does unattended backup. It is a print, file and music server. Also TwonkyMedia is installed and I can stream my photos and videos to my TV through a PS3. This works but it connects through my wifi router and is not ideal. Later, I'll run an ethernet cable under the house to improve this. So for these uses the SheevaPlug is just fine. My only concern is whether it will have the longevity of the Slug!

Regards,
feffer

charles67
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 02:53:20 PM »

Since I ordered a Guruplug server plus on 5/15, it was to be shipped within 2 weeks.  Roll Eyes

As of 7/22 I never heard anything out of globalfail. Which means they did not return calls or emails. I canceled the order. This seems to be the only thing the "operator" can do besides fib.

As of today the refund does not show on my credit card, they told me initially "tomorrow" ; which would have been 7/23.  Angry

While it is obvious they are shipping to a few people, they are at best incompetent and or liars.

Who else thinks its about time to get the open source schematics, BOM and etc and have these things made somewhere without heat problems and other engineering defects?

One wonders if Sparkfun / Olimex would make them.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 06:24:21 PM »

Also TwonkyMedia is installed and I can stream my photos and videos to my TV through a PS3.
WTF? Why this? That's a PAID app, that does the same thing as Mediatomb, which is free.. I'm actually rather surprised it even runs on the ARM CPU. Seriously, look into free open source options before spending money on this crap.

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

bob38

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 11:52:54 PM »

Hi,

currently, I work with Ionics Nimbus 100 and Globalscale SheevaPlug.

Nimbus 100 is smaller than Globalscale. You can manage three Leds by default (red, green, blue), and it's a Debian distribution. If you want to use sources from plugcomputer, you'll have to adjust the compilation (change sheevaplug-setup.c before compilation for example). To access to console, you'll have to plug a provided extention to the Jtag bus.

Globalscale doesn't allow the three Leds management (except if you update your kernel, explain in this forum). It is an Ubuntu distribution. All sources provided by plugcomputer are compatible with this SheevaPlug. Currently, last kernel are tested on this platform, I think. There is a SD card slot and direct access to console with a mini USB cable.

I had to manage WIFI USB key, on both platform. And I upgraded my Nimbus 100 with new kernel and Ubuntu distribution to work fine.

Bob

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: