• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How can i edit the files in sheevaplug? vi does not work well  (Read 2358 times)
realfenglin

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »

HI Guys

finnally make the sheevaplug work with my Serial-USB commnucaition card. However, i found it is very hard to edit the some files in sheevaplug if i use SSH (tunnelier) or Telnet (hypertrm). when i use vi command to modify some files, after typing 'i', i cannot edit, insert or delete anything in the file. Right now, i have to use another Linux machine to edit file and transfer into the sheevaplug.

is there anyone has the same issue. what is the solution? thank you very much.

two9er

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:09:17 PM »

You might have better luck with nano. I sure did.

Just plugging away! GuruPlug Server Plus, 1TB esata hd, 8GB microSD (rfs)

hausschuh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:16:07 PM »

If you try to modify a file like /etc/apt/sources.list only root is allowed to edit this file.
So if you use vi as normal user to edit this file you can press i as long as your finger falls off  Grin You do not have the permission.

realfenglin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »

i am using the root to modify some files but vi seems not work well. but nano from ssh is working fine.

So i will use nano for text input/

Mimoza

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:36:44 AM »

Maybe you search VIM instead of VI-tiny ... by default it's a slim version of VIM in Debian

edit :
The full version of VIM is around 25Mo Roll Eyes (VIM + VIM-common + VIM-runtime)
VIM-tiny is around 2Mo (VIM-tiny + VIM-common)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:45:50 AM by Mimoza » Logged

varkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 02:17:20 AM »

You might have better luck with nano. I sure did.

+1 nano seems to be much better Smiley

feffer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »

Maybe you search VIM instead of VI-tiny ... by default it's a slim version of VIM in Debian

edit :
The full version of VIM is around 25Mo Roll Eyes (VIM + VIM-common + VIM-runtime)
VIM-tiny is around 2Mo (VIM-tiny + VIM-common)
Personally, I can't tolerate vim-tiny as it behaves quite differently than vim (full), so I purge tiny and install the full one. My install is on an SD card, so room is not a problem. I'm just more use to vim than nano, so that's my preference.

feffer

Mimoza

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:13:06 AM »

I'm just more use to vim than nano, so that's my preference.

feffer
Just like me  Cheesy VI-tiny is more closed of the original VI, and VIM is more intuitive/usefull for me ...

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »

Whereas I use microemacs - a version I've used on 5 different OSes (counting all Unix and Linux as 1) over the last ~20 years.
The most useful command in vi for me is is Esc:q! (if I accidentally get into it).

shawnsc
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »

Oreilly books has a nice VI editor tutorial called the VI Pocket Reference, you can find it on Amazon for about 10 bucks.

truxntrax

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 06:08:47 AM »

apt-get install nano

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: