• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Adventures with uShare!  (Read 2605 times)
plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:07:19 AM »

I'll be adding to this thread in a couple of days, but I'm trying something out:

I just ordered a D-Link DSM-750.

I've also installed (via apt-get) "ushare", a UPnP media server. I've pointed it at my torrent directory, and it allegedly exposes my media files (video, audio) to my local network.

The DSM-750 should be able to see that content, and show it on my TV via HDMI.

In a couple of days, we'll know for sure. Smiley

Further thoughts: I should probably move the less family-oriented content to a different directory. Wink

bfmorgan
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:37:43 AM »

This sounds very interesting. I have been tinkering with creating something like the D-Link media box for awhile. Please, do keep us informed of your new adventures.

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:45:23 AM »

FedEx says I'll have the DSM-750 tomorrow.

In the mean time, I'm going to experiment with Coherence. It looks as though it just might be able to stream things like YouTube at me, as well as filesystem content.

I'm either going to have a very fun or a slightly frustrating weekend. Anyone want to place bets? Cheesy

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:48:33 PM »

Hey! This Coherence thing is great! I don't have the DMS-750 yet, but after starting the Coherence daemon (and adjusting the config file), the plug shows up in my Windows Media Player library. Click on videos, and there are the videos I've downloaded. Click them, and they stream/play.

I'm pretty excited to see this all hooked up tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it's not DOA!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: