• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: guruplug update  (Read 2728 times)
ubertekton

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2010, 06:04:21 PM »

Guruplug has been running for the last three weeks; normal temp and stable.  Today I added a 1tb samsung drive in a Nexstar3 external esata box.  After a reboot I peeked /var/log/dmesg to check the hardware (sda) and was good.  Used cfdisk to create partition (sda5), mkfs to format to ext3, blkid to check UUID, created /data, and finally vim fstab to create mount.  Rebooted and all was well.

Then we apt-get install rsync and started to transfer files from my current server to /data/.

apache is already running and responding.

Last item will be a 8gb micro sd and move /usr to the sd card; install some additional programs and...done.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »

can you provide more information about your setup?

running wifi, bluetooth, gigabit, one or two interfaces, usb

ubertekton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:30:07 PM »

Setup,

1 ethernet interface, hard wired to main home router
2 wifi and bluetooth disabled (no use for the intended homeserver application and save on heat)
3 sata 1 tb drive as noted in original post
4 the drive is partitioned for /var and /home
5 changed the webserver to apache (my original server configuration)
6 next week I will install a 8gb sd card and move the /usr to it
7 placed the web server app on line today and it is working ok
8 additional software after sd card: postgresql, gallery2, drupal, dansguardian, squid

preaton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 02:13:02 PM »

Fairly similar to my setup except I boot from my esata drive - Debian squeeze, 26.33.2 kernel. Kernel still on Nand. I found the guruplug too slow for gallery2 to be very usable- running a small album on it at the moment but the family album still on the main server (4 cores & 4gig mem) . It may work better with Apache as I'm still using Lighttpd. I also have a firefly daap server which works well.

I've had no problem with heat or stability - been running for about 4 weeks now. But no wireless. Running wifi caused random reboots and a very hot plug. I'm also only using 100 ethernet. Others have reported 1000 ethernet causes problems. The original plan was to use it as firewall server but 2 1000 ethernet connections is definitely problematic.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: